Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New performance fuel

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:44 AM
ortcele
1st Gear Member

Default New performance fuel

Hi every one at mustang forums I have an important question. In my stock 2006 sick I am sure I could find places that sell aviation fuel and or jet fuel and I’m sure that I could fill up a two or four gallon canisters that I have at home to mix in with some 87 in my tank. The reason I ask is I remember my 11th grade science teacher telling me that some of his student would add a couple gallons of witch I can’t remember if it was aviation fuel or jet fuel to there tank on race days. So 2 years later at the present time I was just thinking about trying it out to see if I could get a performance kick from this trick. Does any one know if its aviation fuel or jest fuel that I need to achieve a performance kick. Also will this damage my engine if I only mix in like two gallons or four? Please any one that knows about this because curiosity kills the cat every time and I’m am getting ready to do this tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New performance fuel

lol... umm are you serious? I am not sure that you will blow your engine on the first go round but it will hurt it. If you want the same results with less risk go for some nitro or a meth injection kit instead. Safe and add a boost to the A/F mixture thats exploding in ur cylinders
Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 AM
ortcele
1st Gear Member

Yes I am serious I’m not some troll or whatever they call them. Check my profile I have been registered to this forum for over a year can some one pleas explain to me why this would not boost my performance I am a collage student on a very tight budget and don’t even any have any extra cents for a c.a.i. or anything like that. But if my science teacher told me that some of his students wear able to pull it of than why wouldn’t I be able to do it. I just want to be able get some more response when I step on it on a safe open stretch of road with no car aroundin a responsible way.
And is it aviation fuel that I need or jet fuel?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

you need neither. Any change in the octane that you run with these cars requires a re-tune of the cars computer. Otherwise the Air to fuel mixture and the combustion of fuel will be incorrect. By increasing the octane, without changing the tune, you will simply be left with an incomplete combustion of fuel, a film on your cylinder walls, and increased damage down the road. It will not increase your performance as much as you think it would, and in the end will hurt your car.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix, you gotta pay to play as they say.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:17 AM
Ortoch
4th Gear Member

Well jet fuel is almost on par with the alcohol mixture that funny cars run on so that will blow your engine. If you are dead set on trying this I wouldn't recommend daily driving with the "supercharged" mixture in your tank but rather siphon out ur fuel and fill up with this mixutre you create for the track or racing applications. MOGAS is what you fill up your car with at the pump, car based ethanol petrol that will keep ur engine running... the next step up from that is AVGAS and after that is Jet Fuel. Backing up AVGAS is measured slightly different from the Octane ratings of our cars but can be compared. Take AVGAS 80/87 for example... the first number indicates the octane rating of the fuel tested to "aviation lean" standards, which is similar to the Motor Octane Number (MON) rating given to automotive gasoline. The second number indicates the octane rating of the fuel tested to the "aviation rich" standard, which tries to simulate a supercharged condition with a rich mixture, elevated temperatures, and a high manifold pressure. So the first number is what your focusing on here and comparing aviation standards to motor vehicle standards is not 1 to 1 either. AVGAS 80/87will be equal to around MOGAS 95, you can increase this greatly though as AVGAS comes in incremental steps just like MOGAS. They are all colored differently so that the consumer (usually a pilot) knows what fuel is going into his plane. Fuel dyes aid pilots in identifying the proper fuel in their aircraft. 80/87 is red, 100/130 is green, 115/145 is purple and 100LL is blue, while jet fuel, JET A1, is clear or straw, being undyed. Untaxed diesel fuel for off-road use is also dyed red.

The highest you want to go is a 100/130 AVGAS mixture straight in your engine but I would dilute it with 91 octane MOGAS (probably a 1 to 1 mixture). And please remember I am telling you that ANY of these non motor vehicle fuels if run for long periods of time could melt your cars internals so BE PRUDENT when using them.

Please note also that without a computerized tune for your fuel injectors to handle this mixture it will run lean or overfill the cylinders causing damage to your engine either way.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I highly suggest you try about 5 gallons straight and let us know what the results are!

Of course I don't know of anyone crazy enough to sell jet fuel to a college kid for an "experiment".
You're not one of those whacko Islamic Fundamentalists trying to start Jihad, are you?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

The only way I would put/mix jet fuel in my tank is in a rental car.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

There are basicly two types of jet fuel. Most jet fuels are kerosene based, and it would F#@* your car up. It is based more on diesel fuel. The other type of jet fuel is still very bad for a stock or mildly modified engine. Avgas is just plainly more expensive, with no added benifit to a stock stang.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
99flhr
2nd Gear Member

Jet fuel is kerosene based, closer to diesel in composition than it is to gas. Your car won`t run on it, but neither will it "blow"
Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

If you are interested in the full explanation of fuels and octane, read on. If you want the short - DO NOT put Jet Fuel in a gas engine!

From "chp2150" of allfordmustangs.com:

This is long, however it explains the methods used for deteremination of Research and Motor octane numbers. It also explains the combustion process for normally aspriated engines and super/turbo charged engines and how octane applies to each. The article is skewed toward aircraft engines but applies to all engines, including diesels.
"The octane number assigned to a motor fuel has very little to do with the actual chemical "octanes" in the fuel and everything to do with how well the fuel resists detonation (which is directly related to the amount of energy (heat) required to get the fuel burning in the first place).
Therefore, it is possible to assign octane VALUES to fuel which contain no octanes whatsoever.

WHY DO WE CARE ABOUT OCTANE? WHAT IS PREIGNITION? WHAT IS DETONATION?
The octane value of a fuel is an empirical measure of its ability to resist detonation and, to a limited extent, preignition. Technically, octane ratings measure a fuel's ability to resist the spontaneous ignition of unburnt end-gases under controlled test conditions.
What is preignition?
Preignition occurs when the fuel/air mixture in a cylinder ignites before the spark plug fires.
It can be caused by burning contaminates (such as carbon, or a spark plug of the wrong heat range) in the cylinder or by extreme overheating.
What is detonation?
Detonation occurs when the flame-front in a cylinder does not proceed smoothly from the point of ignition (the spark plug) to the opposite side of the cylinder.
It refers to the spontaneous ignition of the entire charge in the cylinder. This ignition is often caused by the extreme pressure rise in the cylinder that occurs when the charge is first ignited (by the spark plug).

WHAT ABOUT FUELS?
There are six things to consider when comparing hydrocarbon fuels:
1. Volatility. In short, what's the fuel's propensity to vaporize. This effects the ability to easily mix the fuel with air and the fuel's tendency to vapor-lock. It also determines the pollution characteristics of the fuel where evaporative pollution is a concern.
2. Pre-ignition & knock resistance. Referred to as "Octane value." How much energy does it take to get the fuel burning - how much does it resist auto-ignition from compressive heat? Also, what is the rate of burn of the fuel (which affects the rate of pressure rise)?
3. Energy content. How much energy can be extracted from the fuel as a percentage of its volume or mass.
4. Heat of evaporation.
5. Chemical stability, neutrality, and cleanliness. What additives does the fuel contain to retard gum formation? Prevent icing? Prevent corrosion? Reduce deposits?
6. Safety
The first three factors are often confused and interrelated when, in fact, they measure three completely separate things. There is no natural collelation between them.
General rules:
Heavy fuels (diesel, jet): Low volatility, low knock resistance, high energy per volume
Light fuels (gasoline): High volatility, high knock resistance, low energy per volume
Note that gasoline, partially, makes up for its (relatively) low energy-per gallon by the fact that a gallon of gasoline weighs less (by about 15%) than a gallon of jet fuel.
Octane rating is in no way correlated with engine power or efficiency. There is more potential energy in a gallon of diesel fuel than a gallon of gasoline, yet the diesel fuel has a much lower octane value (more on that below).

HOW DO YOU DETERMINE OCTANE?
Ok, then, how is octane rating determined? First, you go out and get a suitable supply of the fuel which you wish to test. Then, you get yourself some heptane (made from pine sap) and some iso-octane (a petroleum derivative). Finally, you and your buddies arbitrarily, agree that iso-octane has an octane rating of 100 while heptane has an octane rating of 0.
Next, you call up Waukesha Motors and order yourself an ASTM-CFR test engine. Make sure you have about $250,000 available on your VISA before you order it. This single-cylinder wonder has a four bowl carburetor and a movable cylinder head that can vary the compression ratio between 4:1 to 18:1 while the engine is running.
You fill the ASTM-CFR full of your mystery fuel and, for automotive fuels, you run two test protocols using the ASTM. One protocol is called the motor protocol and the other the research protocol. You vary the compression ratio until the onset of knock and write down all kinds of various scientific parameters.
Next, you run your reference fuel, made up of various proportions of heptane and iso-octane through the ASTM-CFR. You keep varying the proportion of heptane to iso-octane until you get a fuel that behaves just like (knock-wise) your mystery fuel. Once you get that, you say to yourself "How much heptane did I have to add to the iso-octane to get the mixture to knock in the ASTM-CFR just like my mystery fuel?" If the answer is, say, 10% heptane to 90% iso-octane, your mystery fuel has an octane number of 90.
How do the motor and research protocol differ? Mostly in input parameters. In the motor protocol (ASTM D2700-92), the input air temp is maintained at 38C, the ignition timing varies with compression ratio between 14 and 26 degrees BTDC, and the motor is run at 900 RPM. In the research protocol (ASTM D2699-92) the input air temperature varies between 20C and 52C (depending on barometric pressure), timing is fixed at 13 degrees BTDC, and the motor is run at 600RPM.
The motor method, developed in the 1920s, was the first octane rating method devised. After its introduction, many more methods were introduced. During the 1940s through the 1960s one of those methods, the research method, was found to more closely correlate with the fuels and vehicles then available. However, in the early 1970s automobiles running on high-speed roads, such as the German Autobahn, started destroying themselves from high-speed knock. It was found that the difference in ratings between the research and motor method, known as the fuel's sensitivity was important as well. The greater the fuel's sensitivity, the worse it performed from a knock point of view in demanding, real-world, applications.
Remember, at the pumps, the results of the motor and research numbers are averaged together to get the value you see. The fuel's sensitivity is not published. Highly cracked fuels have high sensitivity while paraffinic fuels often show near zero difference between the two. While the fuel's sensitivity is not published at the pump it can be a valuable indicator as to the fuel's real world octane performance. Remember, the octane tests are conducted in a lab using a special test engine; the lower the fuel's sensitivity, the more likely it is that the fuel will, indeed, behave as expected. Generally, the closer the fuel's research rating to the published rating the more reliable the published rating. Because the motor and research methods primarily differ in terms of input parameters (the test engine is the same for both), the greater difference that a fuel exhibits between its motor and research test will be due to differences in input parameters (intake temp, timing, etc.). A fuel that has an octane rating that varies with intake parameters is said to be more "sensitive."

HOW DO YOU DETERMINE AVIATION GASOLINE OCTANE?
The octane of aviation fuel is not measured in exactly the same was as is automobile fuel.
Once again, you start with your trusty ASTM-CFR engine. First you set up the ASTM-CFR for the motor method and use that method to determine the motor rating of your fuel. You then correct that rating to the "Aviation Lean" rating using a conversion table. Below about 110 motor octane (a performance number of 110), the aviation lean and motor octane numbers wil

Quick Reply: New performance fuel