Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About Hood Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:25 AM
stigmartyr
I ♥ Acer

Default Question About Hood Mods

Hello Gentlemen,
I am considering a RAM Air Hood kit fo rmy 2008 GT/CS. Can you tell me what I need to know about converting my existing hood for this purpose? Can I expect this kit to come with everthing as it says (except the paint) and the hole will fit the one I have now?

My Cali Special come with a GT appearance package and what Im worried about is if the hood scoop it has now will not be large enough and I will be required to do cutting?

<< RAM AIR HOOD KIT >>

- Functional Parts ($374.99) : http://www.americanmuscle.com/ram-air-kit-ramairhood.html
- Hood ($599.00) : http://www.americanmuscle.com/cervinis-2005-ram-air-hood.html
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question About Hood Mods

I think you are confused here man. The two pieces that posted links two are required with each other. The Functional Parts are the parts to make the hood you posted functional.

There is no such kit for your stock hood.

Now you can buy the Shaker hood system, but with your GT/CS hood scoop installed the kit won't work with your stock hood.

So in the long run, you might be better off getting the two pieces that you just listed.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Tormentor
2nd Gear Member

I believe you have to order the whole hood with the ram air kit. I dont think the ram air kit will work with the factory hood.
I've been thinking about that hood or the cowl hood myself
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM
stigmartyr
I ♥ Acer

I am concered about this RAM AIR kit if it means rain can easily get into the engine compartment. I dont see any external filtering..

Another related question I had, was if this Ram Air Kit would be a good fit with a Supercharger add-on. The reason I ask is because of a note telling me the following:

NOTE: Will not work with superchargers that relocate the air box.

The Supercharger add-on is planned for at least another year or two, but I wanted to think with the future in mind. I want a mean looking hood scoop that is functional. I was hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Well the only scoop that I have seen work with a supercharger is the Shaker with a vortech, paxton and what not. But the others will require some retoring to make it work. The hoods are what moves the air around and usually have the outlet going to where the stock air box is located. With the shaker you can adapt hoses to move the air later... But again, most systems are normally not compatible without some retrofitting.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:50 PM
stigmartyr
I ♥ Acer

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to just stay away from any hood mods at all at this time because of my concerns over the SC fitting properly, later.

Instead, I picked out what I think will be an excellent air filter, at least until I install the SC and then it comes with an intercooler and all that jazz.

Any thoughts on this kit below? I was wondering if the tuner was really even neccessary if its installed and tuned by a pro the first time.

» Steeda 2005+ Mustang GT Complete Cold Air Intake Kit and SCT X3 Combo
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005gt...xcal2-kit.html
Old 12-29-2007, 04:53 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stigmartyr

Thanks for the feedback. I decided to just stay away from any hood mods at all at this time because of my concerns over the SC fitting properly, later.

Instead, I picked out what I think will be an excellent air filter, at least until I install the SC and then it comes with an intercooler and all that jazz.

Any thoughts on this kit below? I was wondering if the tuner was really even neccessary if its installed and tuned by a pro the first time.

» Steeda 2005+ Mustang GT Complete Cold Air Intake Kit and SCT X3 Combo
http://www.americanmuscle.com/2005gt...xcal2-kit.html
you need a tuner to tune your car for the mod. If you pay someone to install your cold air intake then you might as well just burn your money its that easy. also I would suggest buying your cold air intake from brenspeed.com or bamachips.com.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:05 PM
stigmartyr
I ♥ Acer

Helpful feedback, thanks again!

Ill be sure to check out those sites.

BTW, I just ran into a pretty big mustang mod rep for Bickford Ford in WA state.

They're doing Whipple 500hp SC's for 8,295.00 + tax (installed) -- Voids your factory warranty. This kit includes an intercooler and a larger fuel pump.

They're also recommending:

".. Ford Racing Shorty headers and X-Pipe as well for better performance and economy .."

I did my homework on the Whipples and they look hella sweet. I'm starting to wonder if I should just do it right from the start, but I am worried about losing my power train warranty so quickly.

WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO ???? []

Old 12-29-2007, 05:28 PM
black S197
3rd Gear Member

Just do it. I voided my warranty 2 days after I picked her up. "I just say **** it".
Old 12-29-2007, 07:22 PM
stigmartyr
I ♥ Acer

Do you suggest any other suspension mods? I've heard that upgraded sway bars are essential. Afterall, who wants to have 500hp they can't transmit right?

Quick Reply: Question About Hood Mods