Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Stripes & Me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:41 PM
MichaelS197

Default Vinyl Stripes & Me.

Hello everyone and thanks for taking a look...

I've had rally stripes on my car for about a year and i started to get bored of them so decided to change them.

The stripes on the back of my car came off with no problems but the one's on the hood left pretty much all the adhesive behind. [:@]

I tried everything. Goof-Off. Goo-Gone. even WD-40. nothing worked. it might have something to do with how cold it is here in NJ...

Anyway, I wanted to Put these 2 big "Duel Hood Stripes" on my car anyway

So my question is can i just apply these stripes over the old adhesive? They're big enough to cover the old lines by alot.
And if not then what should i do about the adhesive? is there something a professional can do?

Thanks alot for taking time and reading this....
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vinyl Stripes & Me.

I wouldnt apply over the old adheasive because it wont look smooth, it will have bumps and everything. I would try using a rubbing alcohol or maybe a mixture of rubbing alcohol and dish soap to take off the adheasive, that was what we used at my old work to remove vinyl adheasive.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

No Mate, you MUST remove the old stuff first otherwise it'll look crap.

There is a whole host of stuff you can buy but try good old Gas (petrol). It might just do the job for you
Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Witte 05
1st Gear Member

"3M tar, adheasive, bug remover"....you can find it at some local shops...it's might be as high as $20 but it's worth it....won't hurt your paint either....also try to heat it up...use a blow dryer then work small areas at a time....with a little elbow grease you'll get it off...I have also removed decals with a product call "Sticker Shock"...it's made to get bumber stickers off of cars...I have seen it at Auto Zone...it worked better than goo gone...
Old 01-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Give it a little warmth and that will probably help a lot. (Hairdryer for a couple seconds perhaps?)
Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The problem is that as the stripes have been baked on by the heat from your motor for so long thatthey have lost pretty much all their strength. Now they are essentially coloured adhesive.
Heating them with a gun might help a little but i think you're looking at chemicals to help you out.
Gas won't hurt your paint if you wipe it away after and run some polish onto the area. Gas will kill paint but only after a long time. We've all seen those stains below gas caps where they've been leaking for years.........
Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 PM
bodyman
2nd Gear Member

Go to a automotive paint supply store get pre-kleeno or it's equivalent it will take the adhesive off your hood just soak it in and wipe it off.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:54 PM
pnandy
2nd Gear Member

don't want to steal the thread but i bought some got some stripes for xmas and was wndering if anyone knows of a place that will install them in the Wittier So cal area thanks
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
bmk
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pnandy

don't want to steal the thread but i bought some got some stripes for xmas and was wndering if anyone knows of a place that will install them in the Wittier So cal area thanks

any body shop would be able to do it.. find a good one that will guarantee a flawless job. i got my stripes put on for 45$ and they are perfect
Old 01-05-2008, 10:25 AM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

wipe it off with "metal prep" surface cleaner, they sell it at automotive paint supply stores. where good rubber gloves though as it will eat your skin. youll want to rewax after your stripes are put back on as that stuff will remove all the contaminants and wax from the paint. DONT use it on fresh paint though. it will strip it off. iuse it every spring to wipe the whole car down. youll be surprised how dirty your paint is even after youve thoroughly washed the car.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Stripes & Me.