Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wut oh? Dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Default Wut oh? Dead battery?

Hey guys, I just tried to start my car today after about a month of inactivity because I was traveling and the weather etc. However, it wouldn't start! So of course, I jump the car and it goes fine, I drive it around and come back. But I just tried starting the car again and the battery's dead AGAIN (haven'tr tried jumping it again). I haven't had this happen to other cars before, not after jumping it at least... any tips on what to do about this short of getting a new battery?

(Also, keep in mind that this car was probably kept for about 2 years without starting or activity, it was a used car that wasn't actually used, and when I originally got it it had to be jumpstarted as well.)
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wut oh? Dead battery?

Not sure the stock batteries are that great in our cars. When I was out shopping/test driving Mustangs last year (Feb. in Pennsylvania), I went to 3 different dealers to try out a variety of 07 GT's, and no lie -at every dealer they had to jump start the car I wanted to test drive. Now I'm sure there weren't a whole lot of crazy SOB's like me out shopping for Mustangs in February, but still I would think the cars would have been started/moved around the lot occasionally. Anyway, when it comes time to change out my battery, I think I'm going for an Optima red top.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Ahh I see, I wasn't sure the stock batteries were so great either but that story makes me even wearier. Anyone have a solution to this problem? I don't mind jumpstarting it, I just don't want to jumpstart it EVERY time I start the car.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

known issue in the 05+ cars... there is a TSB out... 05-9-18 I think.....

best thing get a battery tender.... automatically charges the batt.. about 25-30 bucks at Autozone.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Full Throttle
2nd Gear Member

use a battery charger when you aren't planing to drive the car for a while
Old 01-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

ps.... happend to me 2x in colder weather when the car sat for 2 weeks
Old 01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Alright thanks for the tips guys.... upon a search I see there's a huge rash of posts on dead battery problems and I was like oh, well there's my problems right there...

However, after I tried to jump start the car again (car to car) my car won't even fire up WITH a jump start. All the electronics work but it just makes that clack clack clack clack sound. Is this normal for the car to not even start with a jump? None of the other threads mentioned this, they all mentioned dead batteries but they all started with jumps it seems like...
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
rslaurie
1st Gear Member

I just had this problem. Similar circumstances. Last week it was a slow cranking, but did start. Saturday, it wouldn't start, so I checked the water level on the "maintenance free" battery, added water, and jumped it. It started right up, drove around a couple of hours to charge the battery (I know, poor me) Sunday, it started, but did not sound normal. Monday did not start again.It did not want to jump either. When I finally got it started I took it to the dealer, 3 years not yet up, they tested the battery, said it had a dead cell and replaced it under warranty.

So far no more problems.

I thought it odd that the manual says it is a maintenance free battery, but that you might need to check the water level. How is that maintenance free?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Stangula

depends what you are trying to jump it with the cca of the charge battery may not be enough to start the car. if it is below freezing plug in the cars block heater I would charge the battery with a charger
Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Alright thanks guys, my problems seem like one of the things above since

1) the battery I was charging it with was pretty old and

2) It was pretty cold, probably below freezing when I was doing it.

Hey, rslaurie, when they replaced it under warranty did they use a stock OEM new battery or a used one? I'll prob end up taking it to the dealership when I can get it started.

Quick Reply: Wut oh? Dead battery?