Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TUNE

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:40 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

Default TUNE

what is that ive been hearing so much about?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:44 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TUNE

https://mustangforums.com/search.asp
Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 PM
noober
3rd Gear Member

Oh dear...

Search button is your friend! Other than that:

A tune is when you flash your car's computer controls for the engine (such as fuel injection ratios, timings, and the like) and basically gives your car some extra power as opposed to stock. The most common thing to do is to get what's called a "Cold Air Intake" and couple it with a tune. Reason for this is because this CAI is brining in more air than the stock air box and the car computer can't quite tell the fuel injectors to push enough fuel in. At this point, your engine is running lean, where you're not getting enough fuel in. This can lead to engine problems down the road. This is where a tune rewrites the computer's commands and that issue is fixed, almost always with desirable results such as: better throttle response, more horse power, and more torque. Other people say is gives a cool sound, so if that's your sort of thing, get it for that too.

It's the basis for ALL Mustang owners that want to mod their cars, as it's the build blocks for all other mods.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

thank you!

i've been told it tells you what kinda fuel to use on your car? maybe that's not what the person meant but i understood it as that because i don't know anything.

ANYWAYS, what kinda fuel do i use on an 08 v6? just for the record.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: noober

Oh dear...

Search button is your friend! Other than that:

A tune is when you flash your car's computer controls for the engine (such as fuel injection ratios, timings, and the like) and basically gives your car some extra power as opposed to stock. The most common thing to do is to get what's called a "Cold Air Intake" and couple it with a tune. Reason for this is because this CAI is brining in more air than the stock air box and the car computer can't quite tell the fuel injectors to push enough fuel in. At this point, your engine is running lean, where you're not getting enough fuel in. This can lead to engine problems down the road. This is where a tune rewrites the computer's commands and that issue is fixed, almost always with desirable results such as: better throttle response, more horse power, and more torque. Other people say is gives a cool sound, so if that's your sort of thing, get it for that too.

It's the basis for ALL Mustang owners that want to mod their cars, as it's the build blocks for all other mods.
what he said
Old 01-23-2008, 11:52 PM
noober
3rd Gear Member

87 Fuel for the stock tune, but if you get an aftermarket tune, the fuel type is designated by the tune number. You'll almost always see aftermarket tunes with this type of setup:

87 Fuel Economy
87 Performance

89 Fuel Economy
89 Torque
89 Performance

91 Torque
91 Performance

93 Race

The first number represents the fuel grade you use when you load that tune into your car.

EDIT: For anyone that wants to hassle me (because I know you'll crawl out of the woodwork... 06saleen3v... ^_^) I KNOW THERE ARE OTHER TUNES OUT THERE, I was just too lazy to list em.

I think they go up to 105 Octane?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 PM
antipeterleague
3rd Gear Member

i am confused as **** but i got the fact that on my stock i should jsut use 87.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:00 AM
noober
3rd Gear Member

Yeah sorry. I'm in a bit of an explaining mood tonight. I've written like 3 books-worth of posts in the past hour.