Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip Alignment Help (UPDATED W/. PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

Default Tip Alignment Help (UPDATED W/. PICS)

thanks again everyone for all of your advice. i just got done re-aligning my rear axle via the phb and re-aligning my muffler tips. fortunately for me, i didn't have to eat my words - the muffler fix was easy as pie. i definitely got lucky - all i had to do was remove the passenger side, axle bracket, bend the hanger a bit, and voila! lined up perfectly! to say that i feel relieved is an understatement. that damn thing bugged me every time i saw it. and at red lights i always used to imagine people behind me saying to themselves, "hot car, but see how off that muffler is? looks like sh*t!" haha, no more!

here's the BEFORE pic:

and AFTER:

MUCH better! thanks again, guys, for your help and advice!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Tip Alignment Help

Sure you can. If you are carefull, you can use a torch but know the fuel tank is right there. Try loosening the clamps and adjust it that way first.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:17 AM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I had to re-align my tips so many times. Did you try loosening the midpipe clamps and adjusting a little first? It's a lot easier if you can have another set of hands to hold in place and try to tighten.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:21 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Another thing that helped me was to loosen the clamps in the middle of the car, the ones that clamp the mid-pipe to the long pipes that go over the axle. I also did a small amount of bending of the axle-back hanger on one side by removing the muffler and then putting a big pipe over the hanger. It would probably be better to heat it a little bit but I don't have a propane torch.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:24 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the responses guys! i don't know if i'm down with using a torch, but i'll give the loosening of the mid- and axle- clamps a shot.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

What kind of mis-alignment issue is it? Too much to one side? Too high or low on either side? Does one pipe stick out more than the other?

When I had my stock mufflers on, I noticed that the left muffler tip stuck out a tiny bit more than the right, and even now with my Borla catback system, it still does. I assume there's some warp in my rear bumper to cause it to appear this way.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

heh, i didn't even think about specifying - the pass. side is lower than the driver side. they both stick out the same distance, so it's just a height issue. now that i know i can mess with the clamps and the hangers no problem, i don't think it'll be too hard to fix...
Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
lenster

I would bring it to a reputable muffler shop, they're experienced with all these issues and it's much easier to heat-up hangers while the car is raised up high on a lift.
Shouldn't cost that much to do, probably less than an hours worth of labor, more like a half an hour or less.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

i guess if i'm completely unsuccessful i will, but i think i'll try this myself first without the torch. if my attempts totally fail, i'll hit up a local shop [8D]
Old 01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

First, unclamp your midpipe on the side you think is mis-aligned and swivel it from side to side to see if comes to rest in the right place. You may want to do this on both sides. It should be a fairly easy fix.

Quick Reply: Tip Alignment Help (UPDATED W/. PICS)