Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some help from someone whos actually installed it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Eric261
2nd Gear Member

Default Some help from someone whos actually installed it.

My question is How hard is it to remove headers and replace them with aftermarket long tube headers? (They are going on an 06 gt.) and what exactly is involved in the process besides just unbolting the stock headers from the block and installing the aftermarket H or X pipe with it as well? Anything in particular you need to do to install them?

I am very familier with engines in general but I have mainly worked on motorcycles for the most part but am prepared to do the install myself. Anyone know how long it takes to install them as well?

I have been searching around through this forum it seems that kooks and hooker headers are what people always point to but what are the other options besides kooks and hooker headers that are a good set of headers? Long tube headers that is.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Mustang Matt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Some help from someone whos actually installed it.

It's not too hard, mainly just time consuming. It is a PITA at times though. It's more than just unbolting the old ones and bolting the new ones on. You'll have to remove the starter, battery, motor mounts and jack the motor up a few inches to get them in. Also depending on what brand of headers you go with you might have to unbolt the steering shaft to get the drivers side in. I installed a set of Kooks and did not have to do this though. If you search some of the other forums you might be able to find a how-to with pictures. As far as how long it will take, you should probably plan on a solid 8 hours if it's your first time. Maybe even longer.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Mustang Matt is correct! Very time consuming and a pain on the drivers side!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Driver side always been a pain on any car, just about any year[8D].
Make sure you have a back up car, in case you run into some issues.
Especially if you don't have a lift.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

Would it be a good idea to set a side a whole weekend to do a header install? How long did it take you guys?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have read 6-8 hours but if doing it as a weekend warrior out of your garage with no lift! Maybe allot that time for the install and take your time!
Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Eric261
2nd Gear Member

Any Special tools that I will need for this particular mod?
and no I dont have a lift haha that would be sweet though. o_O

Can somone give me some opinons on what headers are good? I have searched around the forum and read alot but which one is the best bang for the buck? and well what is the best period? Seems that everyone likes the Kooks headers but they are pricey $$$

Old 01-30-2008, 10:23 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Only special tools you would need are a set of jackstands, and a jack to lift the engine off the mounts. If you do it on the ground and not on a lift, rest assured you will find yourself spewing some words you forgot existed.
I cheated and have a shop with inground lifts. Still tookseveral hoursbecause of having to lift and move the engine over a bit to get the passenger side in. Driver sidewas a breeze.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

As far as brands go there is wide variety and each has its supporters. I have seen posts from guys with: Kooks, ARH, Stainless Works, BBK, JBA, Hooker, Dynatec (sp?) and many others, each guy claiming his is great, he loves it and would do it again. So....I don't think there is any consensus on which to get. Although I have two thoughts: ARH are made of very high grade stainless and are said to fit perfectly and have amazing quality. Kooks are the shortest of the "long tubes". Some folks call them "mid-length". I do not have proof of this but it seems to me this would have an advantage if you need to run Cats to remain emissions compliant. A shorter tube means the collector is closer to the stock position and thus the O2 sensors (front and rear) are also closer. Note that the further your O2 sensors are from stock, the cooler the exhaust temp will be. Cooler exhaust temps can cause havoc with the sensors and lead to lots of check engine lights and therefore failure of an OBD emissions test. Just me waxing on...like I say this is just my theory.

As far as performance goes - I have seen only a few posts or articles that actually showed dyno runs before and after, no definitive data to conclude much, somewhere in the neighborhood of +25 HP with tuning. Most folks say they all produce about the same gains.

Here is a list of posts I have assembled on the installation of long tubes:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...ghlight=header
http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...ks_Install.pdf
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...tor-mounts.jpg
Old 01-30-2008, 01:08 PM
06supercharged
1st Gear Member

I have the jba and have put on several pairs. If you get into a bid shot me an email. make sure the car is higher in the front enough to get the header in. You will need to order extension for the o2 sensors. You will need motor mounts to atleast with the jba or just deal with the vibration . Good luck that top starter bolt is a real mot*******er

Quick Reply: Some help from someone whos actually installed it.