Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wierd whirring noise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Default Wierd whirring noise...

Ugh... my 06 GT with 1200 miles on it started having this wierd whirring noise today. It stays for about 2-10 mins at startup then goes away. Anyone experience this before? Anything I should be worried about? It's just a super wierd noise... like whir whir whir whir whir... anyone have an old beater where the timing belt needs to replaced? It's like that but quieter...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wierd whirring noise...

You may or may not be talking about the same noise that I have. I too have a noise that seems to last anywhere up to 10mins after startup, and then, just like yours, goes away. I want to say I didn't notice it until it got pretty cold, but I can't be sure (only have had my car since Oct.). It's almost like a small vibration or something, I don't know.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Yeah man sounds like we're talking about the same thing.

As for me, it didn't start happening till it got really cold either. Even though it goes away I'm a little worried it might be a real problem later or something because it sounds like it's coming from somewhere in the engine compartment.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:55 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, definitely has to be the same noise as you. I was worried about it too, because, like you said, it sounds like its coming from the engine area. Almost sounds like it's coming from the right hand side (if you're in the driver's seat). Also, I only notice it when I'm giving it gas. If it's idling, it doesn't happen.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

My fuel pump does this. It whirrs for about a minute then goes silent. Sound like its coming from under the back seat by chance?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Yeah exactly! If I'm idling at a stop the sound goes away, it only happens if I'm accelerating... however, I can still hear it if the cars moving at low speeds but I'm NOT giving it gas, just letting it cruise. I can't tell where the sound is coming from... sounds like engine compartment, could be underneath the middle of the car maybe...

This leads me to believe that the previous poster was correct about it being the fuel pump because it only happens when I'm giving it gas/moving, not when I'm stopped. Is this part of a normal fuel pump operation? Or should I get it looked at under warranty?

I'm a little wary of taking it to the dealer, as I only noticed the sound when I got it back from them for a different minor repair. Could be coincindental, probably is, either way I don't wanna deal with that hassle if it's normal.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:11 PM
sarNz
2nd Gear Member

i hope you figure it out cus my honda civic does the same thing. more so when its cold, and only under acceleration. thats from 98 though...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

there is a TSB for fuel pump hesitation, though your exact situation doesnt sound like the usual
Old 02-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Qusus
2nd Gear Member

Any chance you know the date of that TSB?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:37 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking PS pump or and probably the most likely, belts. They will make some weird noise. I had one once that made a sound like lifters. JUst a steady peck peck. Spray a little water on the belt when they are making the noise to see if it goes away or gets worse. Since it goes away when warm, I doubt it is fuel related.

Quick Reply: Wierd whirring noise...