Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Headers

Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best Headers

Some people have gotten,I believe, around 10hp with LT's. Yes, shorties dont offer as much of a gain.
I got shorties so that I didnt have to worry about ANY issues with check engine lights and O2 sensors. I had 2 styles physically in my hands to compare. The BBKs and FRPP's. The BBK's were flat out better made. The flange was much thicker, and the tubing where it meets the flange was smooth and round. FRPP's were not smooth and round. The FRPP's would be the easiest to install between the two. They are styled more like the factory design. The BBK's are a tuned length, and take up more physical space due to their design. Because of that design, the BBK's require you to unbolt the engine mounts and lift the engine upand move it to the left to get the passenger side in. The FRPP only requires disconnection of the steering shaft and starter removal.

I used the same dyno before and after any exhaust changes. Procharger said my car hit 450rwhp with just the S/C. Outside temp was in the low 60s. The next time is was dynoed, I had the BBK's on and MagnaFlow 3" cat back on, and it was about 95-99 degrees that day. Rwhp went to 459. So theres where my increase is with 2 mods. Obviously not EXACTLY apples to apples, but close enough to know the numbers would be a bit higher if the temps were the same.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steve O Chap

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

ORIGINAL: 08Eleanor

Not true, MAC Ceramic Headers

I'm looking for direct fit, LTs require some cutting of the stock pipes right? My exhaust is whats in my sig, Cervinis side pipes.
None of the headers require cutting of any kind. All the L/Ts I can think of offer a matching mid-pipe.Don't waste your time with short tube headers, you might see 3-4 hp out of those. If your looking to stay under 1000 your best chance might be JBA or Dynatech. Dynatech uses better material and are honestly good headers, just stay clear of there catted X-pipe(they offer an O/R option). There have been a couple of cases where they have come apart internally and caused peoples motors to blow. I like JBA personally since they offer a H-pipe but their grade of Stainless Steel is slightly inferior to some of the big money headers like Dynatech, American Racing, Stainless Works, andKooks.I can't say I've heard much about BBK or OBX longtubes on these cars but BBK should be decent.
What sort of power gains can you get with LT headers? I was under the impression it was only 4-7hp...
With LT's you will get more like 15-20 RWHP not 4-7...[&:]
Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Chris D
1st Gear Member

08Eleanor, why do you want headers? I saw in your sig that you have a Whipple S/C. I have been talking to a shop to install a Whipple in my 06 GT and he talked me out of any exhaust modification (I do have Flowmaster American Thunder axlebacks). Other than sound, he said that the headers wouldn't offer much if any performance gains. I tend to believe what he is saying since I would have purchased the headers from him and and let him install them when he was installing the S/C. He talked me out of spending more money with him. That being said, I was at PRI (Performance Racing Industries) trade show late last year and talked to several header manufacturers. Only the Kooks guys would claim substantial powergains. They claimed an additional 23 RWHP with their headers,X-pipe and high flow cats on a FI car, however, only minimal gains on a non FI car. Thats the good news. The bad news is that that setup cost over $1200 before shipping and install. Add anothercouple hundred dollars if you wanted the headers coated.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:55 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Chris D

08Eleanor, why do you want headers? I saw in your sig that you have a Whipple S/C. I have been talking to a shop to install a Whipple in my 06 GT and he talked me out of any exhaust modification (I do have Flowmaster American Thunder axlebacks). Other than sound, he said that the headers wouldn't offer much if any performance gains. I tend to believe what he is saying since I would have purchased the headers from him and and let him install them when he was installing the S/C. He talked me out of spending more money with him. That being said, I was at PRI (Performance Racing Industries) trade show late last year and talked to several header manufacturers. Only the Kooks guys would claim substantial powergains. They claimed an additional 23 RWHP with their headers,X-pipe and high flow cats on a FI car, however, only minimal gains on a non FI car. Thats the good news. The bad news is that that setup cost over $1200 before shipping and install. Add anothercouple hundred dollars if you wanted the headers coated.
I believe that ARH and Kooks LTs would net about the same gains. 20+ for FI setup isnt unreasonable....10-15 for N/A is probably not bad either.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:08 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

A friend of mine put ARH LT's an catted midpipe on his 500hp Paxton equipped Shelby GT and saw a whopping 6 hp increase.[8D]
Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM
08Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chris D

08Eleanor, why do you want headers? I saw in your sig that you have a Whipple S/C.
I don't have a whipple s/c, I will have one in the future...
Old 02-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Im very happy with the ones i got. (see sig)
Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Fast Toys
Banned

We sell a lot of the Mac Ceramic coated long tubes. The pricing is great (we give discounts to forum members) and the Ceramic coating helps keep the heat in the pipes and helps prevent the tubes from rusting.

Lots of people spend money on the intake side and then never bother with the exhaust side. A motor is just an air pump. You need to get air in and out as quickly as possible.

We wouldn't recommend shorties. In general, they don't make much more power than stock. A long time ago when exhaust manifolds from the factory were really crappy, shorties were worth it.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

can some one fill me in on the differance between long tube and short tubes?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: T8Stanggt

can some one fill me in on the differance between long tube and short tubes?
You mean hp wise difference or what?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Headers