Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time racing, ever

Old 02-08-2008, 11:48 PM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

Default First time racing, ever

Well, I finally made it to the track. I had no idea what to expect. I've never raced in my life, period. All I can say is that it was really fun. I just have to get the 20s off the rear so I can improve my times.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Here are the timeslips:

My first run I wasn't really ready for. I asked the tech where to go, and next thing I know, I'm staging. The Corvette I ended up against killed me (duh). My 2nd run ended up being the best one, but I still didn't break into 13s like I had wanted. The truck I raced was really fast, but once I hit 3rd gear I started to walk away. The 3rd run was a total loss. The car I lined up against lost his tranny on the start. I dumped the clutch and ended up spinning all the way through first and second, all while fishtailing. They had just opened the track back up after cleaning up an apparent oil spill. After a couple runs (mine included), they shut it down once again, apparently to further clean it up. Guess that explains my major traction issues.

All in all, it was a really fun experience, and I plan on doing it again soon. Next time, I hope to put some stock 17s on the rear with some drag radials. The 20s definitely have to go when racing.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Default RE: First time racing, ever

Im not really a big fan of 20s on a mustang. Just doesnt seem rite to me. But yea you gotta get in the low 13s
Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 AM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

The 20s are fine for everyday driving. They just suck for racing. I'm hoping the 17s with some nice DRs will solve the problem.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have to agree.......20" wheels are not for Drag Racing. But with the 4.10's and the mods in your sig, I think you'll be well into the low 13's with a little practice. Enjoy.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Those 20s are killing you! Slap some 17"s on that sucker and you'll easily drop a couple of tenths off of your 60'. It's all in the 60' bro. Once you get that down, you'll see your ET begin to drop significantly.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah! Definitely had traction issues last night!

The best I got was a 12.465 at 125[:@][:@][:@][:@]

I finally got aggravated and left......my only conciliation was that at least I didn't break anything!

I think I might run tomorrow, they are having an "all slicks day" today. So maybe after they run the track will be a little better. I think the biggest problem was everyone blowing up cars on the track last night!![:@][:@]
Old 02-09-2008, 09:29 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

You still did good for your first time though, I will have post the video's I took as soon as I get them off my camera.

And Eric, I wish I would have gotten video of you spinning, 1st, 2nd, and into 3rd before you gripped and still beat the other car who had like a 10 car lead on ya. It was hilarious.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:21 AM
06Saleen3V
6th Gear Member

Its a learning process. I am no track expert yet, but plan on becoming one
Old 02-10-2008, 08:39 AM
banka87
4th Gear Member

You'll learn.

Not to rub it in, but at the current point and time, my V6 would smoke you [8D]

It just takes practice. My first run ever I ran like a 16 when I had an axelback and a CAI/Tune.

Just learn where you can launch without loosing grip, and you will just watch those 60' time start slowly coming down.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM
d4rb
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: banka87

You'll learn.

Not to rub it in, but at the current point and time, my V6 would smoke you [8D]

It just takes practice. My first run ever I ran like a 16 when I had an axelback and a CAI/Tune.

Just learn where you can launch without loosing grip, and you will just watch those 60' time start slowly coming down.
And I would have no problem with that. You would have beaten a complete noob. Hooray.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time racing, ever