Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Upper Control Arm!!! Help please

Old 02-09-2008, 01:52 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default Stupid Upper Control Arm!!! Help please

i tried getting to that upper control arm last night for 4 hours, i pulled the bolt out from under the seats, i disconnected the bolts from the mounting brackets, i lowered the gas tanks and NOTHING lol. I couldn't get that thing out for ****, i tried a crobar i tried everything. I had jacks under each gas tank to relieve pressure from the torx screws, but eventually as the screw got loosened it became harder to loosen it and the tanks would not come down far enugh even after I lowered the jacks. Then I tried to leave the bracket in and just unmount the UCA from the car and leave the bracket in. After I got that bolt loose, i learned the frame of the car comes down slightly right where the bolt comes out so i couldn't slide it out. So I got so frustrated that I put everything back together and went to bed. The adjustable BMR will need to wait for another day now[:@]
Old 02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Stupid Upper Control Arm!!! Help please

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

i tried getting to that upper control arm last night for 4 hours, i pulled the bolt out from under the seats, i disconnected the bolts from the mounting brackets, i lowered the gas tanks and NOTHING lol. I couldn't get that thing out for ****, i tried a crobar i tried everything. I had jacks under each gas tank to relieve pressure from the torx screws, but eventually as the screw got loosened it became harder to loosen it and the tanks would not come down far enugh even after I lowered the jacks. Then I tried to leave the bracket in and just unmount the UCA from the car and leave the bracket in. After I got that bolt loose, i learned the frame of the car comes down slightly right where the bolt comes out so i couldn't slide it out. So I got so frustrated that I put everything back together and went to bed. The adjustable BMR will need to wait for another day now[:@]
Sorry I can't help but I've spent a lot longer then 4 hours trying to figure out my brake pads. I'm sure if you give it some more time and another shot you'll get it.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:07 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

haha i've been working on this suspension for atleast 15 hours in the past two weeks. Between the shocks and struts, springs, adj. panhard rod, lower control arms and relocation brackets...now this stupid UCA is preventing me from completing the job
Old 02-09-2008, 02:14 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

Maybe this will help Joe, straight from the workshop manual, you have my number ill come out to BK if you need help! you dont have to discard or mark the shocks like there saying.
Upper Arm

Removal and Installation
CAUTION: Suspension fasteners are critical parts because they affect performance of vital parts and systems and their failure can result in major service expense. A new part with the same part number must be installed if installation becomes necessary. Torque values must be used as specified during reassembly to make sure of correct retention of these parts.
CAUTION: The upper arm is a 2-piece design and is replaced as an assembly. Do not remove or loosen the nut and bolt that joins the 2 pieces together. The assembly is set at ride height during production, loosening the nut and bolt will disturb this setting.
[ol][*]Remove the rear seat cushion. For additional information, refer to Section 501-10.[/ol][*]Remove and discard the upper control arm front bolt.[*]To install, tighten to 175 Nm (129 lb-ft).
[ul][/ul]
[ol][/ol][*]To aid in installation, mark the rear shock absorber relative to the protective sleeve with the vehicle in a static, level ground position (curb height).
[ol][/ol][*]With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02.
[ol][/ol][*]Place a safety support under the fuel tank.
[ol][/ol][*]Remove the rear bolts from the 2 fuel tank support straps and position both straps aside.[*]To install, tighten to 52 Nm (38 lb-ft)
[ul][/ul]
[ol][/ol][*]Partially lower the fuel tank to gain access to the upper control arm.
[ol][/ol][*]Remove and discard the 2 upper control arm rear bolts.[*]To install, tighten to 115 Nm (85 lb-ft).
[ul][/ul]
[ol][/ol][*]Remove and discard the upper control arm bushing flag bolt and nut.[*]To install, tighten the nut to 175 Nm (129 lb-ft).
[ul][/ul]
[ol][/ol][*]Remove the upper control arm assembly.
[ol][/ol][*]Raise the rear axle so the mark made in Step 3 lines up with the protective sleeve.
[ol][/ol][*]
CAUTION: Tighten the upper control arm fasteners while the suspension is at curb height.To install, reverse the removal procedure.
[ol][/ol]
Old 02-09-2008, 02:23 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

the pictures won't load, i'm going to give it another shot next weekend I think. I was going to call you but it was 1:30 in the morning haha so I didn't want to bother you. I'd feel guilty making you come all the way here to do it. If I don't get it next time, i'll bring it out to you. You can adjust my pinion angle also?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:44 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Hey man... I didnt exactly understand your question completely...

But, I did my UCA install today. Took about 3 hours. Just remember, it can be done with a little creativity.

I did mine without touching the fuel tank bolts...

First, I'm assuming the upper mount is moving, you just can't get it out right? Because if its not moving at all then you got other issues. So assuming its moving, but stuck, then do what I did and dont remove it at all. I just removed the 3 upper mount bolts so it was completely loose. That allowed me to barely get a ratchet up and remove the UCA top/front bolt. You should be able too. If you can't, then think again, because you can!

As for the rear UCA bolt... It too was stuck for me. Are you jacking up the axle at all to give it some load? You need to. After I got the UCA front bolt remove I just hammer tapped, very lightly, the rear bolt and it slid out. Its not as stuck as you think...

All in all the upper mount stays on the car, even if that just means hanging freely without any bolts attached. Reinstalling the UCA is a pain also, and it will seem like nothing fits, but guess what, it does.

If you specific questions about how to perform certain impossible things, ask.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:48 PM
blk07gt
2nd Gear Member

keep at it, as frustrating as it is it just screws you up more to get pissed off
with with a lil more time and effort im sure you'll get it