Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Default Buying a Turbo?

People that have bought a turbo or a supercharger, I have a question. Did you find a place that finances it out, put it on a credit card, or just pay for it all upfront? I am a 19 year old college student and have 1000 saved up. I'm on scholarship so I don't have to worry about loans and parents are taking care of housing. I'm making about 200 a week and that money is mine to spend. Would it be a smart idea to pay some upfront and put it on a creditcard to establish credit. I know a lot of people are establishing their credit by paying student loans, but that is not an option for me since there isn't much to pay but housing. What do you guys think?

I was thinking about doing a CAI and Headers w/ my money but I wan't to eventually add a forced induction system. I am not a big street racer, but I would really like to start going to the track more often. Some guy who lives around here is a real douchebag and keeps talking **** to me ( He drives a black 05 mustang gt). He is on 18's and im on 20's and stock other then 3.73's. He's got exhaust and probably an intake. I just want to know that I can walk him w/o a problem. To me knowing I have the faster car is almost as good as proving it.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a Turbo?

IF THATS YOUR CONCERN THEN GET NOS AND BE DONE WITH IT -- HE WONT HAVE MUCH TO SAY THEN. YOU COULD ALWAYS GET CAI & TUNE WHICH IS WHAT I DID FIRST.

IM JUST CURIOUS BUT WHAT TURBO WERE YOU LOOKING AT?
Old 02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Was looking at the Hellion.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:09 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

someone will always have a faster car than you. Dont worry about the other person.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 AM
TerpsandStangs
1st Gear Member

I might be a little tight with money, but this does not sound like a good idea to me. I don't think being in debt is a good way to establish (good) credit. I would imagine at your age your interest rate would be quite large and you will need to upgrade some other stuff besides just dropping a turbo or superchrager in.

I vote for CAI and taking small steps until you have the money, but thats me.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I would say go with the STS if you are on a budget. The Hellion is a good kit, but its also one of the more expensive.

The cheapest one I have found is now being offered at Sutton High Performance in IL.

www.suttonhp.com
Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

What else must be done before adding a turbo?
Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

If you get a COMPLETE kit you wont have to get anything extra. Except an A/F ratio gauge and maybe a boost gauge. When refering to a complete kit, that means with bigger injectors, bigger/additional fuel pump and a tuner.
I know you are looking at turbos, but ProCharger sells a complete kit. It goes on without a problem and is ready to drive. You dont need a lift to do it either.

How you pay for it is your choice. Of all the options you gave, saving for it is the smartest way. Credit card second choice. You can always ask for a rate decrease if you call the card issuer. They will almost always knock it down. And you get your credit built up in the process. A loan would only be an option if you didnt owe anything on the car. You could use the car as collateral to get the $5-6k needed.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I have a few rules for modding.

1. Never finance a mod
2. Pay cash
3. Get exactly what I want.

If you are in college you need to be patient. The last stress you need to worry about now is getting F/I on your car prior to finishing your degree. You will be able to purchase the F/I of your choice post graduation and not worry about paying for it. Have the dicipline to save, plan your life/career and follow through with you dreams.

I have wanted a boosted Mustang since I was 16 and rode in myemployers 331/Vortech/N2O 1990 GT. That one ride hooked me. It took years of hard work and controling my credit and financing to get to this point.

Good luck

I'm not saying don't get the FI, just make sure you really think about how you get it.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Dude. I'm in college also.

Financing stuff with debt that doesn't absolutely NEED to be financed is just an absolutely terrible idea from a financial standpoint, especially if you put it on your credit card, because you'll be paying an absolutely ridiculous annual rate if you just make $200 payments each month.

And don't buy things that cost thousands of dollars for other people; that sounds like precisely what you're doing "to shut him up." Let it go; life's too short.

Quick Reply: Buying a Turbo?