Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I stooped to an all time low. I bought 87 octane and retune with my SCT2 tuner to 87. Then a WS6 .

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default I stooped to an all time low. I bought 87 octane and retune with my SCT2 tuner to 87. Then a WS6 .

So I left my house to do a couple errands. First I'm going to the gas station and buying some cheap *** low octane gas so I can save about what 5 dollars. So I buy the gas I switch my tune with my SCT2 tuner to the 87 octane tune from Brenspeed. After that I'm taking my sorry *** to my next errand when I see this WS6 Firebird eating at my *** in the rear. So I smile get on it and leave a little distance between us but nothing really to brag about. So the road is changing into two lanes when I'm thinking you know I can't try this crap now because I'm going to the store to getfurniture polish . So when the lane breaks into two lanes I stay in my lane with a car in front of me while the WS6 goes past me with a sneer on his face. I'm like great I just went with my lowest tune yet I feel power and speed but maybe not as much torque. So anyway I see this guy shortly after at the red light and I pull behind him. He's sitting there with this $hit eating grin and I yelled out my window what do you have in that thing. A course I know it's a LS1, I've been educated on the Mustang Forums site. I said to him, "damn dude I wanted to see if I could keep with you in my stang." He said, "Sure when I take off let's see. So he took off and mind you , I'm behind him because I have a car to the left of me. So first gear I'm on top of him so I laid off some. Second gear this is still happening so I'm keeping a safe distance but not too conservative then third he kind of left me some. I'm thinking If I was next to him he might of been behind mewatching my smoke. I know that car has a six speed and I believe it's rated at 325 horses but it's under rated for insurance reasons. My question is how much horsepower did I lose by going to the conservative tune? And just think I have to drive that the rest of the week because it's full of 87 octane. I punder what if? Anyone want to intervene or did I put you to sleep already.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:31 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I stooped to an all time low. I bought 87 octane and retune with my SCT2 tuner to 87. Then a WS6 .

Something like that re-tune just has to happen before you meet a ws6. That sucks. You couldn't get even with him in the left lane moving up? Would have still been worth it to try even with the 87.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I stooped to an all time low. I bought 87 octane and retune with my SCT2 tuner to 87. Then a WS6 .

I wouldn't think you'd lose more than 5-7HP with the lower tune. But I thought the WS-6 was fast! I know it weighs in at about 10000 lbs, but it still seems like it would have been faster than that!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I couldn't get in the left lane because it was covered with cars. I forgot to say I said tohim at the next light and he was waiting to turn left at the red light I spoke with him briefly like, "Take easy my brother," He in return , returned the respect and then I took my self down the road because my light was green to get my ffing furniture polish and that' what I'm doing now dusting furniture in my wife and I's bedroom. What I'm saying is I think I could of had him. Remember I do have 4:10s.'
Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I stooped to an all time low. I bought 87 octane and retune with my SCT2 tuner to 87. Then a W

I thought the only purpose high octane was for FI cars so it wouldn't combust before ignition.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I stooped to an all time low. I bought 87 octane and retune with my SCT2 tuner to 87. Then a W

No bitch

ORIGINAL: SXGT

I thought the only purpose high octane was for FI cars so it wouldn't combust before ignition.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:44 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s2k

No bitch

ORIGINAL: SXGT

lol[sm=violent053.gif][sm=outcold.gif]
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Damn anyone think I might of had a chance? Anyone else here maybe has beaten a WS6 Firebird?
Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah you probably would have had him if you let off some in 1st and 2nd. The 4:10s help alot.

I run a Bama 87 tune also, I have yet to try any of the other tunes, i'm wating for autocross season to start.
I can't wait to get that grin again after I put the 93 tune in.

Gas prices FTMFL! [&o]
Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

you dont lose that much HP at all. the car is tuned for it. just because a fuel is higher octane doesn't make it more powerful, it just makes the combustion much more controlled, allowing for better, more advanced timing. This can lead to better gas mileage, among other things, and is necessary in higher HP applications. You won't gain or losemuch more performance simply switching from one octane to another. They exist for different applications, not for performance gains.

Quick Reply: I stooped to an all time low. I bought 87 octane and retune with my SCT2 tuner to 87. Then a WS6 .