Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Oil Go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Alloy07

Default Does Oil Go bad?

Maybe this is a stupid question, but does oil "go bad"? I have had some redline 5W-20 (reccomended by Burnsy) for several months because I didnt have ramps and needed to get my oil changed, so I took it to a quick lube place and cringed the whole time.[:@] Anything in an oil filter that is time-sensitive? Thanks guys.

EDIT: maybe I didn't make it very clear. I am talking about just sitting in the bottle, not used. I know it must be changed once used.. It has been sitting in a box in my room still in the bottles becuase the local quik-lube wouldn't let me use my own oil. Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Poco
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Does Oil Go bad?

Viscosity or the value of the oil when its new deterioates with constant usage.The resistance of the oil becomes greater and impurities-dirt,sludge and metalic particals will wear out your engine bearings,clylinder walls and rings.Too many parts to list.Plus bad oil it can affect your oil pressure.
Even if its cheap oil but clean and changed regularly thats better than not changing it at all.Just make sure its equivilant to the manufactures recommended oil type and weight.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Motor oil, when stored in properly sealed containers, doesn't have a shelf life as far as I know. And keeping it sealed hasto do with preventing the intrusion of contaminants. However, I'd be concerned with it after maybe 20 or 40 years. I'd have to say the same about oil filters other than the filter media possibly breaking down over the course of years or even decades.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:55 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Poco

Viscosity or the value of the oil when its new deterioates with constant usage.The resistance of the oil becomes greater and impurities-dirt,sludge and metalic particals will wear out your engine bearings,clylinder walls and rings.Too many parts to list.Plus bad oil it can affect your oil pressure.
Even if its cheap oil but clean and changed regularly thats better than not changing it at all.Just make sure its equivilant to the manufactures recommended oil type and weight.
I think he is asking if unused oil goes bad.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

No.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:15 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

No, according to Mobil One. Base oil will always remain base oil no matter how old it is.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

I only said its goes bad if its used.I should have read the post more thouroghly.[sm=bustedsign.gif]
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Poco

I only said its goes bad if its used.I should have read the post more thouroghly.[sm=bustedsign.gif]
I hope you're not from "Poco"...if you are you have my most sincere sympathy...can you explain in depth why the lifespan of motor oil deminishes with use?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Motor oil contains additives that perform various functions. Even with synthetics, these "packages" of additives begin to breakdown and wearout due to conditions the oil encounters in use. For instance, one of the additives helps control the impact from acids that accumulate. Another helps to maintain the viscosity.But these additives can only do so much before they can no longer adequately protect. Short trips tend to cause these additives to deplete more rapidly since you're not burning off the moisture in the oil. There are many other factors that contribute to the depletion of these additives which is why oil change frequencies differ between "normal" and "severe" duty vehicles. Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

I was actually being sarcastic to the first response butyours was a good explanation for those who don't understand how motor oil works.

Quick Reply: Does Oil Go bad?