Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

penalties for no cats in FL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
S19706
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: penalties for no cats in FL?

One suggestion..... i love my "H" pipe but in florida especially south fla FDOT has been cracking down lately and the BSO commercial vehicle division has been hot and heavy with all the ricers and young kids and their"LOUD TOYS" so be on the lookout and it is a federal law with a penalty of up to $10,000 fine for no cats but just be cool and you'll be fine my 90,91,93,06 all have a h pipe and not even a close call but im alot older then i appear
Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I would hold on to your stock H pipe. I have a feeling Florida will be doing inspections really soon.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I would hold on to your stock H pipe. I have a feeling Florida will be doing inspections really soon.
Why do you say that?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:43 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

I still have my stock midpipe, but lots of my friends are running off-road setups on their Mustangs/Camaros. While there is a Federal law against removing cats, as long as you don't give a cop a reson to look under your car you should be fine.

That being said, I plan on going with a catted h-pipe w/ high flow cats since I want sound, but I want totry to be somewhat conscioustowards the environment (it's a stretch, I know [8D]) and I may end up moving somewhere with inspections in the future.

A couple companies sell catted midpipes, but I haven't looked at what is offered for the s197s so I can't be any more specific. About that cats though, most pipes will have them close to the manifolds because the cats should be as close to the heads as possible to work the best.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:22 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

I've had an off-road X and dumps on my 5.0 for over a year now. Never had any problems even in situations where I've been cruising next to a cop for miles in the city. No emissions, no problems
Old 02-25-2008, 07:02 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

90lxstang.. lol.. good motto..

ya i duno.. i deff cant even start to think about what 10k fine would be like... i mean honestly.. thats rediculous.. thats the same as a DUI.. second offense i if remember correctly from driving school from my last ticket..

but what i woudl realllly like to do instead of risking it, is just get highflow cats, and put them further back in the mid pipe, and then have my cutouts moved up so they are before the cats.. and then i can have my loud *** open headers, and close them if i have to..

Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Florida won't be doing inspections any time soon. Up until about 7 or 8 years ago they used to do it, but then they stopped any kind of emmissions testing.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

and never any problems?
Never, and was pulled over a few times. Never any tickets.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:26 PM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

they take your car and give you a geo!!

i live in fl,no problems here!
Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

LOL.. A GEO!!!! ITS WORTH IT!!!!!...

not..

but i think i found the solution.. im gunna go with a JBA high flow catted X.. just heard my buddys, on his dads Vert GT, stock mufflers, and it sounds just like mine at idle.. start up is a little louder.. but no biggy... and for the cutouts.. i can mount them after the cats since they are highflow.. so i will get LOUD sound wiht em open.. they are catted, and IM EXCITED!!!!!!..

down side is that it costs like $380 or something like that.. but i guess its worth it.. im sick of this quiet bull ****!

Quick Reply: penalties for no cats in FL?