Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDC Classic Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Default CDC Classic Question?

For the guys who have a CDC classic chin spoiler installed. Where the chin spoiler bolts to the inner, front wheelwell, are you guys noticing road debris/sand chipping the paint on this section of the spoiler? I just spent $400 getting a pair of Roush louvers and a CDC classic chin painted, and I was wondering if I should put a small custom piece of 3M clear bra material on this section of the spoiler. Any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated. Thx!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 10:27 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CDC Classic Question?

Nobody?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

I've had mine on for 3 years and I am about to have it repainted for the third time. the first times, I did not notice any problems in that area but the second time it was painted, I did have some paint chipping there. The second time, the guy did a terrilble job and the paint was chipping everywhere else also.

I'm thinking of having it covered in 3M clear bra after I get it painted this time.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:24 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

I've had mine on for 3 years and I am about to have it repainted for the third time. the first times, I did not notice any problems in that area but the second time it was painted, I did have some paint chipping there. The second time, the guy did a terrilble job and the paint was chipping everywhere else also.

I'm thinking of having it covered in 3M clear bra after I get it painted this time.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it! I have the 3M clear bra installed on my stang and it's a must have for any new vehicle. Before I had the CDC spoiler painted, I dropped it off for a few days at the shopto havea custom clear bra made for it. After I install it on the car, I'm going to bring it back to the shop so he can install the clear bra on the CDC spoiler. I also gotmy hands on a second set of Roush luover templates. From these, I made a custom set of template so my guy can make two exact clear bra pieces, the same size as the louver,which will fit between the louver and the paint, so their is never any contact between thetwo, the whole job, custom pieces and application is going to cost me $150.Thebody shop that did my paint said it was an awsomeidea.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:43 PM
mandoq
3rd Gear Member

Dont paint it to match your car cuz then u have to painted when u scratch it on a curve or driveway. Painted flat black so u dont have to worry about painting it every timeu scratch it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75778/2498DE2169AB4ABB8096D75BF926B9B2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-09-2008, 02:29 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mandoq

Dont paint it to match your car cuz then u have to painted when u scratch it on a curve or driveway. Painted flat black so u dont have to worry about painting it every timeu scratch it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/75778/2498DE2169AB4ABB8096D75BF926B9B2.jpg[/IMG]
Here is the skinny with the 3M clear bra material, those of you please feel free to be skeptics, but I've seen it with my own eyes. The clear bra material was originally develped to protect chopper blades from erosion, from the sand,in desert storm, it is very durable material. If you make a fist and place a car key in your fist, you can't penetrate the material. I have seen a 350Z that hit a parking stop with the clear bra installed and they just had to replace the 3M material, the paint underneath was fine. This is why my installer made the pieces that wraps around the bottom lip of the CDC. My father had a piece of asphalt get kicked up from a semi, hit his brand new C5 hood with the clear bra installed. The result was amazing, the material sustained damage, in the form of pitting and scratches,but not the paint, the section was replaced with a new one and you'd never know what happened. For anyone interested in the 3M clear bra, please PM me, I am a self proclaimed expert in the stuff, I researched it for months, and have it installed on my GSXR-1000, SC Nissan Frontier, and my stang. My family was also impressed and they have it installed on, Infinity G35, C5 Corvette, and STS Caddy. I have pics of most of these applications if you would like to see pics. I live in NE and the 3M bra has been installed on my truck for 5 years, not a blemish or chip, after 5 winters.