Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STALLED ON FREEWAY!!! NEED ADVICE

Old 03-18-2008, 11:26 AM
BADH0RSE
1st Gear Member

Default STALLED ON FREEWAY!!! NEED ADVICE

Hello everyone,

My Mustang has stalled twice within a week. The first time was when I drove from my house to my local park to go see my boy play baseball. My stereo was on a little loud. Iarrived at astop sign, when I proceeded to take off again the Mustang stalled. I tried to restart is but it would not stay on. It would idle and/or sputter horribly. The CHECK ENGINE LIGHT turned on. I managed to at least get the car off the street and parked at a curb. I tried starting it but itwould NOT turn on. I popped open the hood and did a visual; everything looked good. I called AAA for a flat bed truck. They told be that their ETA was 50 minutes. After waiting for 20 minutes I decided to try and start thecar again andso it did. It started right up and I drove the car back home. I cancelled AAA.

Well,I thought to myself "damn, I know how to drive stick.How embarrassing. I think I popped the clutch and flooded my car?". Later, I drove the car twice around the neighborhood doing errands without any issues. COOL, all is good, so I thought.

Today, I was on the freeway on my way to work (27 miles trip) at 4:30 AM. I was on the fast lane doing 80 MPH when suddenly my car began to bog down. Pretty soon it was dying on the freeway. I managed to pull off to the right to an off ramp. Same exact thing as before but this time I was cruising on the freeway! Pretty scary stuff!! Well, I called AAA and this time they towed me back home on a flatbed at the cost of $170.00 out of pocket for excessive miles. Odd thing is that while I was waiting I did manage to start the car again; but, I was not willing to take a chance being so far away from home. This is obviously an intermittent problem

FYI, my Mustang has a Whipple HO SC. The Whipple uses a GT500 dual pump fuel pump. I am pretty handy with a wrench. All the mods I have done myself. I sparred no expense and workmanship. My SC has been running flawlessly for about 4,000 miles. I recently installed an ALPINE system (Alpine HU, Alpine 400 watts and 600 watts amplifiers) and a yellow top OPTIMA battery. Could the audio upgrade be causing an issue with my alternator? Could my fuel pump be going bad?

Here is where I need input from all of you guys and girls. I have heard about fuse #42, the fuel pump andthe alternator as being issues to some. What do you guys think this could be. I don't think the dealership will be too willing to work with me due to all the mods that my mustang has. Rather, I would like to try to figure it out with your help.

Thanks!

Frank
BADH0RSE
Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: STALLED ON FREEWAY!!! NEED ADVICE

My guess is the fuel pump issue. A co-worker here is having the exact same problem. I printed out the TSB on the fule pupm, and he should be taking it into the dealership soon. I'll re-post here if that turns out to fix the problem.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you have an obstruction in the fuel filter. After it sits a spell, enough fuel has trickled in the get you going again. I had this happenn to me once only it was ice in the fuel line. I put some HEET in there and it sounded like pop rocks going off. Took care of it. Now for the kicker, I was on my way to take my wife who was in labor to the hospital and we were 6 miles out of town when it happened. True story. I had a motorcycle that had the stator go bad in it in motion. It ran out of juice to run the electronics. Could be that but I doubt it.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I would begin by checking all the connections on the 1 power wire that now runs your new fuel pump.
I noticed when installing mine that some of the crimps they did on the connectors up near the engine compartment were not that good.
There was one that connected directly to the inline fuse holder that fell apart on me so I soldered and heat-srinked the connection.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

This is why is nice to carry your tuner around and check the codes, that will give you an idea of what is going on. With the codes and the electrical layouts you may find it out.

You can check the electrics here: http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1
Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

The first thing I would do is go to autozone and read the code that popped into your computer when your check engine light came on. Then post up the code, and that should at least give you a better ballpark of where to start looking.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

I assume that with those mods on he should have a tuner, SCT, Diablosport, Sniper, whichever should get you the codes. (Haven't used a sniper myself but I assume it does that too)
Old 03-18-2008, 12:36 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

+1 on get the codes.

+1/2 on the TSB - he has aftermarket fuel pumps, but if the pump pickup is still the same (I don't know if those pumps come with a new pickup or not), then that should be changed as well, as per the TSB. BUT - the TSB has nothing to do with this issue happening WHILE DRIVING.

Without knowing what the codes were, I'd first be thinking fuel filter, like someone else mentioned. But getthose codes, it'll give you a MUCH better place to start.

PS - do you have a fuel pressure gauge? What did it say?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:20 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

the alternator wouldn't cause the car not to start. I assume the car would crank, but wouldn't run, correct? You need to scan the computer for the trouble code.

How many miles is on your car and have you changed the fuel filter like someone else suggested?
Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 PM
BADH0RSE
1st Gear Member

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all of your replies. Here is further information based on your questions.

[ul][*]WhenmyMustangstalls, the engine does crank but hesitates to start or when it starts it idles very rough and/or shuts off. When I try to move the engine dies.[*]After waiting approximately 20 minutes the car tends to start back up and I am able to cautiously drive it again.[*]My car has14,400 miles with approximately 4,000trouble free miles with the WhippleSC.[*]My intercooler works.[*]I recently (1 month ago) installed a1000 Watts Alpine system.[*]I recently (a week ago) installed an Optima Yellow top Battery.[*]My setup uses a Shelby GT500 dual fuel pump,ST Motorsports told methat if one pump goes out that it should cause the vehicle to die like that; it would only be a problem during WOT fuel delivery. What do you guys think?[/ul]
I downloaded theDTC information:
[ol][*]P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Range/Performance[*]P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1)[*]P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2)[*]P2195 - 02 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean Bank 1 Sensor 1[/ol]
The codes registered in the PCM in that order.

Lets keep this going cause I ain't out of the woods yet The moreof us involved the better the outcome!

Thanks again fellow Mustangs enthusiasts!

Frank
BADH0RSE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STALLED ON FREEWAY!!! NEED ADVICE