Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retro Radio Idea (Pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 PM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Default Retro Radio Idea (Pics inside)

I've always wanted more chrome in the car but not overkill. I always like trying ways to bring retro styling into my car. Then I got to thinking, how could I make my Shaker radio look like an old radio from the 60s or 70s. When I ordered some MGW pieces I thought I'd try two radio *****.

Let me know what you think

Link the rest of the pictures
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m...rj77/Interior/
Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 PM
MD07gtcs
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Retro Radio Idea (Pics inside)

Looks nice
Old 03-21-2008, 03:54 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

Those are the same control ***** and AC ***** I just installed. They look good given the touch of black.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Those look really good
Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 AM
starman
2nd Gear Member

Being one of the "main" retro people on this forum, let me say OUTSTANDING...I too have one mgw **** and will be ordering the second. I'm presuming 3M tape on the bottom holds it to the menu button? Or did you use something else?

Let me know.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

If you want retro radio look, this company makes all the modern convienances in a retro style package. Unfortunatley, they don't sell them in the US.[:@]

http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/CAR+INF...-Overview.html
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

looks great
Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

Dave, you just don't stop.Do you even have a job anymore.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: starman

Being one of the "main" retro people on this forum, let me say OUTSTANDING...I too have one mgw **** and will be ordering the second. I'm presuming 3M tape on the bottom holds it to the menu button? Or did you use something else?

Let me know.
Well that was the trick. I'll be honest, it looks good, but I don't feel its safely secured. Its "rigged". It does have a little play/wobble to it, but then again its only a button to push in. I won't fall off, but if someone "who doesn't know about it" turns it, there's a chance it can twist of. I'll be taking it apart again to figure out a more permanent solution.

I originally assumed the MGW **** slipped over the stock ****, like a cover. I didn't realize it completely replaces the whole **** slipping over the post for the volume control. First thing I did was buy a donor radio. That way I wouldn't mess up my shaker. I disassembled the donor radio, really easy, and removed the Menu button. The next thing is the face of the Menu button has a slight curvature to it. Solution: dremel the sucker down to a nice flat even surface. The button will become brittle the more material you remove. As you grind it down the black paint disappears and the white composition of the plastic shows. Then I centered a drill bit, making a hole to mount a screw through.

Next thing was to select a machine head screw with large enough threads to bite inside the ****. I was just picking through my misc screws I had laying around. Fortunately I found one, short enought with large enough threads. I threaded the screw from the back side so the threads point outward and then took the **** and twisted it on.

The problem with dremeling is you have to take about 90% of the material away. I did that so both the ***** will stick out evenly from the radio. One other thing, I sprayed a little black paint on the buttom before I installed the ****, that way it covered up the exposed white plastic.

I have two more buttons from the donor radio I'll be experiementing with. Possibly get some pictures of the install, details on the certain screw sizes. If it gets popular enough maybe make this into a write up for anyone interested.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
starman
2nd Gear Member

With all that said, and I do have one of the mgw ***** already, it would seem like some clear silicone might do the trick as long as no one tried to "turn" the ****. Pushing it, I think would be fine.

Your screw idea sounds great but seems like more work than it should be.

Quick Reply: Retro Radio Idea (Pics inside)