Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
JJSoCrazy
1st Gear Member

Default Remote Start Question

So I got 4 weeks left until my Mustang gets in and I was wondering if the remote start is a diff keyfob and if it works good. I have an STS right now and it is integrated very nicely in the key and works very well, upto 200 yards.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 03-29-2008, 10:09 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Remote Start Question

From what I know so this could be totally wrong but the only thing the mustangs have of that nature are the push start buttons that go in your cigarete lighter. In order for them to work the key must be in the on position and if you have a manual the clutch must be pushed in. But hopefully some of the more knowledgable people on this subject will chime in
Old 03-29-2008, 10:11 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

From what I know so this could be totally wrong but the only thing the mustangs have of that nature are the push start buttons that go in your cigarete lighter. In order for them to work the key must be in the on position and if you have a manual the clutch must be pushed in. But hopefully some of the more knowledgable people on this subject will chime in
LOL
he said remote start Dude, not button start
Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

haha oops my bad its early just work up first post ignore my ignorance
Old 03-29-2008, 10:46 AM
JJSoCrazy
1st Gear Member

LMAO It's cool, Yea I know about the push button and had my fun with it in my STS but I don't think I want that in the car.

Back to Remote Start!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
ericw2000

A friend of mine is a Ford mechanic, and I asked him about the factory remote starter kit for my Expedition. He told me to go with an aftermarket one and gave me the name of an installer. Apparently the factory remote starter uses the same fobs, so the range is very limited, basically line of sight. I tested my factory fob with the panic button, and I was pretty disappointed with the range. I went to the installer and got a Viper remote starter with a terrific range. The starter fob replaces the factory one, but the horn doesn't honk when you hit the lock button twice, so I keep the factory fob on my key ring too (my Expedition has 5 doors and sometimes the kids don't close one all the way or a seatbelt gets caught in one, I like the feedback that a door is ajar from the horn). We got a different brand for my wife's van, but the results are the same. Basically the put a tiny antenna inside the windshield by the rear view mirror. The range is very good.

factory remote start:
pros: uses factory fob, horn feedback when locking the door
cons: range isn't very good

Aftermarket remote start:
pros: range is fantastic
cons: lacking horn feedback when locking doors (maybe some brands have fixed that)

If you're in the Chicago area, I can give you the name of the installer I used. Great prices and pro installation, and he stands behind his installation too.