Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't ignore routine maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Default Don't ignore routine maintenance

Well, after several weeks of having rough idles, slightly erratic rpms, and just all around not smooth engine behavior, i though maybe my tunes were just jacked and needed tweaking. then yesterday, when leaving work, my car wouldn't hardly start, and when it did turn over, sounded like a ragged out motor boat!!! It scared the crap out of me, sounded like it was flooded or something. well it finally started and seemed to be ok.

After researching the forums last night, i performed three maintenance tasks this morning that seem to have fixed the problem. I ran a can of seafoam in the gas, cleaned the throttle body really good with STP throttle body cleaner, and thoroughly sprayed the MAF with maf specific cleaner *don't used brake or carb cleaner*. And let me tell you boys......my car hasn't ran this smooth...EVER. not even when i first bought it (used).

My point is this, at least in texas, the pollen is so horrendous that it HAS to be having an effect on your MAF readings. so if you're having any trouble at all, go clean it. It's gonna become a regular part of my maintenance because it seems to me that your custom tunes are programmed to react from certain readings from your MAF, and if it's dirty, then it won't relay the correct info.

Just thought i'd clue in anyone who didnt' already know this, i apologize if it's common knowledge!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Don't ignore routine maintenance

It was a relief to resolve that, I'm sure. Excellent work at determining what it might be and taking action.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

just curious, how many miles on your car?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Poco
4th Gear Member

Thats weird how all the pollen got past the air filter.That pollen must be like a super fine dust.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Sound advice. It is easy to overlook or keep putting off regular maintanance. You were having symptoms and you worked them out. There are things that need to be done that never get done in the life of the car. The owner's manual can be a great read.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timothyrw

ORIGINAL: Poco

Thats weird how all the pollen got past the air filter.That pollen must be like a super fine dust.
it is!!! my car is constantly covered in yellowish powder. been that way foralmost 3weeks....
Old 04-02-2008, 11:13 AM
07torchgt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

ORIGINAL: timothyrw

ORIGINAL: Poco

it is!!! my car is constantly covered in yellowish powder. been that way for almost 3 weeks....
mine too man i feel your pain its so aggravating...southern GA has horrible pollen too
Old 04-02-2008, 11:16 AM
Kara
4th Gear Member

WOW good post! I live in Texas, and it is horrible. Sometimes it is so hard for me to breath! My car too!
Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

i know right....i figured my car just has badd allergies just like her owner!!! lol
Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Good advice. I'm expecting the annual pollen explosion any day now here in NC - lierally clumps of pollen covering everything, including my car, which is parked outdoors under a tree all day. IfI have any issues, I'll remember this post. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Don't ignore routine maintenance