MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Homegrown Spoiler Delete (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/436075-homegrown-spoiler-delete.html)

mhconley 04-21-2008 04:24 PM

Homegrown Spoiler Delete

I have been trying to find someone to swap trunk lids since I got my Mustang in February. I decided to go ahead and pull the spoiler off and plug the holes in the interim. If I can't find someone to swap trunk lids I may visit a local body shop and make this temporary solution permanent.

My car is alloy grey so the plastic plugs I picked up at the local Ace hardware blend in pretty good. On the passenger side there was one 1/4" hole and one 3/8". The driver side had one 1/4" x 3/8" slot and one 3/8" hole. I used three 3/8" and one 1/4" plugg to fill the holes. I like the look much better than the spoiler.

It took about 15 minutes with dental floss to cut the tape holding the spoiler on and another 30 minutes with De-Solv-It to get rid of the residue. I then washed the area with clean water and applied a coat of wax.

http://home.comcast.net/~martinconley/MF/nospoiler2.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~martinconley/MF/nospoiler1.JPG

The Sirius antenna is magnetic.

Martin

cobra443 04-21-2008 04:31 PM

RE: Homegrown Spoiler Delete

Looks pretty good.

PCstang05 04-21-2008 04:38 PM

I personally prefer the look of the spoiler on the car to no spoiler. I think it looks plain IMO. But hey, it's your car. I think your mod looks alright, luckilly the plugs are a similar color. If you plan on showing the car much, I would try to get a more permanent fix for your trunk, which you said you are trying to do. Good luck finding a swap.

Black3vGT 04-21-2008 04:52 PM

Looks like the same plugs I used on mine.

Joolander 04-21-2008 04:59 PM

did you put silicon under the pins on the inside of the lid?

157dB 04-21-2008 04:59 PM

:D

Philostang 04-21-2008 09:19 PM

Hey mhconley,

I have to say I like it...especially given the outrageous quotes I was given by body shops to fill the holes. The color match is a fortunate coincidence. I have Tungsten, so I'm not so lucky and I'm still working out an inexpensive solution.

I've been waxing philosophical lately about paint attitudes amongst car buffs. (Look, it's my job to do philosophy...) Some day I'll put it all in a book rather than boring the Forum members. But my point is that you'll get people who pooh-pooh such "homegrown" ingenuity at resolving (even temporarily) a problem, but think nothing of it when the OEM modles have similar solutions. To those, they rave "what a great car!" I'm specifically thinking of many high-end car bodies; take a good hard look at their construction and you'll frequently see plugs and small panels along the body (we're talking $60K-$90K rides here).

So to anyone who puts their nose up, I say F`em! You took care of the problem, it's a work in progress (by your own admission), and the result gets you that much closer to your goal. Bravo! and thanks for sharing.

Best,
-j

Oh, and +1 on the need for silicone under the plugs...

whtcanbrwnd04u 04-21-2008 09:26 PM

I just took some penny's and spray painted them, then popped the trunk and taped em on. lol. works fine.

PCstang05 04-23-2008 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Philostang

Hey mhconley,

I have to say I like it...especially given the outrageous quotes I was given by body shops to fill the holes. The color match is a fortunate coincidence. I have Tungsten, so I'm not so lucky and I'm still working out an inexpensive solution.

I've been waxing philosophical lately about paint attitudes amongst car buffs. (Look, it's my job to do philosophy...) Some day I'll put it all in a book rather than boring the Forum members. But my point is that you'll get people who pooh-pooh such "homegrown" ingenuity at resolving (even temporarily) a problem, but think nothing of it when the OEM modles have similar solutions. To those, they rave "what a great car!" I'm specifically thinking of many high-end car bodies; take a good hard look at their construction and you'll frequently see plugs and small panels along the body (we're talking $60K-$90K rides here).

So to anyone who puts their nose up, I say F`em! You took care of the problem, it's a work in progress (by your own admission), and the result gets you that much closer to your goal. Bravo! and thanks for sharing.

Best,
-j

Oh, and +1 on the need for silicone under the plugs...

If you are referring to my comment, I was in no way flaming him for his temporary fix. I said I'm not a fan of the no spoiler look, but it's his car, he can do whatever he likes. I just don't plan on taking mine off, and if I do, it will be to replace it with another one.

As far as the plugs as a temporary fix, I said it looked alright. The color matches the paint, it works. I am not "putting my nose up" towards mhconley. I mean, he did say it was a temporary fix and was trying to swap out trunk lids. I am not hating on his ride, I merely said it's something I would not do to mine, thanks.

StickShifty 04-23-2008 01:48 PM

i took mine off, and put on some rubber plugs from the local hardware store. the plugs didnt look too good, they stood out too much! i would have to fine a deck lid with the spoiler delete.