MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Homegrown Spoiler Delete (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/436075-homegrown-spoiler-delete.html)

mhconley 04-21-2008 04:24 PM

Homegrown Spoiler Delete

I have been trying to find someone to swap trunk lids since I got my Mustang in February. I decided to go ahead and pull the spoiler off and plug the holes in the interim. If I can't find someone to swap trunk lids I may visit a local body shop and make this temporary solution permanent.

My car is alloy grey so the plastic plugs I picked up at the local Ace hardware blend in pretty good. On the passenger side there was one 1/4" hole and one 3/8". The driver side had one 1/4" x 3/8" slot and one 3/8" hole. I used three 3/8" and one 1/4" plugg to fill the holes. I like the look much better than the spoiler.

It took about 15 minutes with dental floss to cut the tape holding the spoiler on and another 30 minutes with De-Solv-It to get rid of the residue. I then washed the area with clean water and applied a coat of wax.

http://home.comcast.net/~martinconley/MF/nospoiler2.JPG

http://home.comcast.net/~martinconley/MF/nospoiler1.JPG

The Sirius antenna is magnetic.

Martin

cobra443 04-21-2008 04:31 PM

RE: Homegrown Spoiler Delete

Looks pretty good.

PCstang05 04-21-2008 04:38 PM

I personally prefer the look of the spoiler on the car to no spoiler. I think it looks plain IMO. But hey, it's your car. I think your mod looks alright, luckilly the plugs are a similar color. If you plan on showing the car much, I would try to get a more permanent fix for your trunk, which you said you are trying to do. Good luck finding a swap.

Black3vGT 04-21-2008 04:52 PM

Looks like the same plugs I used on mine.

Joolander 04-21-2008 04:59 PM

did you put silicon under the pins on the inside of the lid?

157dB 04-21-2008 04:59 PM

:D

Philostang 04-21-2008 09:19 PM

Hey mhconley,

I have to say I like it...especially given the outrageous quotes I was given by body shops to fill the holes. The color match is a fortunate coincidence. I have Tungsten, so I'm not so lucky and I'm still working out an inexpensive solution.

I've been waxing philosophical lately about paint attitudes amongst car buffs. (Look, it's my job to do philosophy...) Some day I'll put it all in a book rather than boring the Forum members. But my point is that you'll get people who pooh-pooh such "homegrown" ingenuity at resolving (even temporarily) a problem, but think nothing of it when the OEM modles have similar solutions. To those, they rave "what a great car!" I'm specifically thinking of many high-end car bodies; take a good hard look at their construction and you'll frequently see plugs and small panels along the body (we're talking $60K-$90K rides here).

So to anyone who puts their nose up, I say F`em! You took care of the problem, it's a work in progress (by your own admission), and the result gets you that much closer to your goal. Bravo! and thanks for sharing.

Best,
-j

Oh, and +1 on the need for silicone under the plugs...

whtcanbrwnd04u 04-21-2008 09:26 PM

I just took some penny's and spray painted them, then popped the trunk and taped em on. lol. works fine.

PCstang05 04-23-2008 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Philostang

Hey mhconley,

I have to say I like it...especially given the outrageous quotes I was given by body shops to fill the holes. The color match is a fortunate coincidence. I have Tungsten, so I'm not so lucky and I'm still working out an inexpensive solution.

I've been waxing philosophical lately about paint attitudes amongst car buffs. (Look, it's my job to do philosophy...) Some day I'll put it all in a book rather than boring the Forum members. But my point is that you'll get people who pooh-pooh such "homegrown" ingenuity at resolving (even temporarily) a problem, but think nothing of it when the OEM modles have similar solutions. To those, they rave "what a great car!" I'm specifically thinking of many high-end car bodies; take a good hard look at their construction and you'll frequently see plugs and small panels along the body (we're talking $60K-$90K rides here).

So to anyone who puts their nose up, I say F`em! You took care of the problem, it's a work in progress (by your own admission), and the result gets you that much closer to your goal. Bravo! and thanks for sharing.

Best,
-j

Oh, and +1 on the need for silicone under the plugs...

If you are referring to my comment, I was in no way flaming him for his temporary fix. I said I'm not a fan of the no spoiler look, but it's his car, he can do whatever he likes. I just don't plan on taking mine off, and if I do, it will be to replace it with another one.

As far as the plugs as a temporary fix, I said it looked alright. The color matches the paint, it works. I am not "putting my nose up" towards mhconley. I mean, he did say it was a temporary fix and was trying to swap out trunk lids. I am not hating on his ride, I merely said it's something I would not do to mine, thanks.

StickShifty 04-23-2008 01:48 PM

i took mine off, and put on some rubber plugs from the local hardware store. the plugs didnt look too good, they stood out too much! i would have to fine a deck lid with the spoiler delete.

mdg 04-23-2008 03:48 PM

I had the spoiler delete, for a while. The look was too plain for me. Busted out the drill and installed the GT500 spoiler, no regrets.

2cokeman 04-23-2008 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

i took mine off, and put on some rubber plugs from the local hardware store. the plugs didnt look too good, they stood out too much! i would have to fine a deck lid with the spoiler delete.
Prep and paint??

Kara 04-23-2008 04:27 PM

Yall may not have regrets to having spoilers but leave us spoiler delete peeps along. There is NOTHING plain nor wrong about not wanting one. I searched HARD for one without a spoiler. I will NEVER put one on my car. My car is NOT plain. I love it. NOW I dont mind spoilers and will NOT dog on anyone for having one, so nobody should DOG on him for not wanting one. i think it looks great! There are WAY more with them than without, so being without is not plain, it is being DIFFERENT!

StowesStang 04-23-2008 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Revlefty

Looks like the same plugs I used on mine.
Looks the same as mine too!!!! +1 on spoiler delete!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=smiley20.gif]

mdg 04-23-2008 04:30 PM

who's dogging? relax, it's just a car. you're taking this WAY too seriously.

Kara 04-23-2008 04:34 PM

NO I think it is RUDE to call it PLAIN

mdg 04-23-2008 04:39 PM

Do you take everyone's opinions seriously? I think it's plain, dull, boring and lifeless, so what.

Full Throttle 04-23-2008 04:51 PM

I might have to do this once I get the CDC ducktail. Doesn't look bad, although I would pain the plugs

2cokeman 04-23-2008 05:04 PM

I LOVE THE FACTORY SPOILER DELETE!

Philostang 04-23-2008 05:17 PM

Hey PCstang05,

No no, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was calling you out, I certainly wasn't. If I really thought you should be called out for what you said I would have addressed you directly.

I was referring to a general trend I've noticed among car enthusiasts. As it turns out, I've heard the paint-snobbery comments from some people on this Forum, but it was long ago and I didn't think it warranted looking up old posts. I was just trying to give encouragement and defense to the home-ingenuity guys, that's all.

As for the "plain" criticism, I'm not sure plain constitutes an attack, but it most certainly sounds more respectful than "Dude, that sucks!" Plain is good for some folks. I like plain. I mean, at least I like it relative to the opposite extreme you see on some of those import body kits...hell, give me plain any day over the "my God! the fiberglass is growing into an intelligent life form and wants the title to the car!" sort of overkill.

+1 on the factory spoiler delete...lord that would've saved quite a bit of hassle.

Best,
-j

antipeterleague 04-23-2008 05:19 PM

by the sirius antenna is magnetic, do you mean it just pops off? like for real?

SpeedRacer9220 04-23-2008 06:32 PM

I love it. I did the same thing to mine. I think it looks alot better than the stock piece. I was going to go with the GT500 spoiler, but I think I may just have to look into getting the holes filled professionally. Here a couple of pics of mine

GT Newbie 04-23-2008 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: mdg

Do you take everyone's opinions seriously? I think it's plain, dull, boring and lifeless, so what.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.
Here's mine: that NON-functional piece of crap is useless (wind-tunnel tests have proven that they do squat!), ugly, juvenile, and ricer-looking (yes, ricer-looking!).
They can be found on nearly every lame-ass cookie-cutter soccer-mom driven Japmobile and American economy car these days, and as far as I'm concerned (just my opinion remember), totally ruin the beautiful streamlined look of our cars- both from the side as well as from the back!
Ever see a Corvette with a spoiler? They look like sh!t too.
I normally keep such opinions to myself (I realize that probably 95% of these Stangs have some type of spoiler and don't mean to insult anyone), but that's about the upteenth time I've heard that "plain-looking" remark, and felt the need to express my view on the subject.

PCstang05 04-23-2008 09:18 PM

I don't see why everybody is getting all hot and bothered about this topic. Some people like the look of the spoiler, some people do not...so be it! Let it go. Everybody is entitled to their opinion about how it looks. I have mine, but I am not oppressing anybody to go out and make their car look like mine. It is your car and you can do wtf you want with it. I am certainly not "dogging" anybody about their choices and opinions and how they look on their car. I am only saying that there are some things that I will not be doing to my car. Do what you want to your own car and enjoy it!

Kara 04-23-2008 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: mdg

The thread wasnt about opinions or you thinking they were boring. THAT is why I said anything. And out of respect for the poster let's not argue, and gripe about spoiler delete cars[:-]

CroDalmatinac 04-23-2008 09:47 PM

So I guess you think every C6 Z06 looks like **** because they come with spoilers from the factory....

chain1 04-23-2008 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Kara

Yall may not have regrets to having spoilers but leave us spoiler delete peeps along. There is NOTHING plain nor wrong about not wanting one. I searched HARD for one without a spoiler. I will NEVER put one on my car. My car is NOT plain. I love it. NOW I dont mind spoilers and will NOT dog on anyone for having one, so nobody should DOG on him for not wanting one. i think it looks great! There are WAY more with them than without, so being without is not plain, it is being DIFFERENT!
OK, OK, calm down. We WILL not dog ON you ANYmore.:eek:

GT Newbie 04-23-2008 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

So I guess you think every C6 Z06 looks like **** because they come with spoilers from the factory....

What are you talking about? They don't come with a factory spoiler at all!
Try googling "C6 ZO6 photos" and see for yourself.
On the other hand, I have seen Corvettes with aftermarket spoilers, and yes, IMO they do look like sh!t on an otherwise gorgeous car.

StickShifty 04-24-2008 12:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

Prep and paint??
rather just trade with someone. then pay for someone to do it.

mhconley 04-24-2008 12:53 AM

Wow, this thread certainlytook on a life of its own.

Ithink my Mustang looks great, it has no hood scoop and now no spoiler. I love the simple beauty of the unadorned S197 body, it's aclassic. I don't care for most of the scoops, spoilers, or other body kit pieces a lot of the people here have on their car. Isearched far and wide for a spoiler delete car but could not find onewith theequipment and in the color I wanted. So I settled. The spoiler has bothered me every day so I finally decided to get rid of it. (Every time I glanced it in my rear view mirror I thought something was behind me.:)) The plugs are a temporary solution. Hopefully I'll find someone willing to swap trunk lids; more than likely I'llend up ata local body shop. In any case I like my car.

I know many of you prefer the add-ons and that is also OK - do what you like. We're all unique and have our own ideas of what looks good and what does not. But we also have one thing in common,our love forour Mustangs.

Martin

mygt500 04-24-2008 01:11 AM

[sm=WTFsgign.gif] And now I will step in!;) I agree that maybe the OP was just sharing how he plugged the holes on his spoiler delete (looks great and hardly noticeable) but everyone bickering back and forth to see who is correct and to defend internet honor just need to calm down and refrain from responding to something you did not like reading! Why does everyone feel that because they are on the net it is ok to have verbal diarrhea about anything and everything[&:]? Lets show some tact and restraint on threads like this or I will just make it disappear![sm=smiley32.gif]

Johnboy7701 04-24-2008 01:13 AM

+1, if I decide to paint mine brown and stick a big UPS sticker on the sides thats my opinion... no one else pays my bills

mygt500 04-24-2008 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: mhconley

Wow, this thread certainlytook on a life of its own.

Ithink my Mustang looks great, it has no hood scoop and now no spoiler. I love the simple beauty of the unadorned S197 body, it's aclassic. I don't care for most of the scoops, spoilers, or other body kit pieces a lot of the people here have on their car. Isearched far and wide for a spoiler delete car but could not find onewith theequipment and in the color I wanted. So I settled. The spoiler has bothered me every day so I finally decided to get rid of it. (Every time I glanced it in my rear view mirror I thought something was behind me.:)) The plugs are a temporary solution. Hopefully I'll find someone willing to swap trunk lids; more than likely I'llend up ata local body shop. In any case I like my car.

I know many of you prefer the add-ons and that is also OK - do what you like. We're all unique and have our own ideas of what looks good and what does not. But we also have one thing in common,our love forour Mustangs.

Martin
[sm=smiley20.gif]

Orion_240 04-24-2008 02:39 AM

I'm going to ignore the bickering and get this thread back where it belongs- to expand on the op!

I took my stock, yellow spoiler off yesterday. Thought I'd have to get braided fishing line, but I didn't want to spend all day trying to find just a few feet, so I took a chance and unbolted the 4 screws and then just slowly pried it off using just my hands and arms.
The gunk left from the "gaskets" was taken care of with WD40. Don't waste your time with anything else! Just get lots of old rags you will be throwing away. The spray just easts away at the old rubber.
Then I cleaned everything up and gave it a coat of wax before bolting on the new, take-off, black spoiler.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...stang/2129.jpg

mygt500 04-24-2008 02:41 AM

Thanks Orion_240!

PROMETHEUS PRIME 04-24-2008 03:35 AM

I like the look of none. It's too bad you can't find someone nearby to swap with you. I was luckily enough to find one. The funny thing about the plugs is that my brothers car has had the same kind of plugs for is delete for quite awhile and a lot of people don't even notice unless they are real close.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k9...0113_JPG-1.jpg

chain1 04-24-2008 07:32 AM

I love the black spoiler on yellow cars. Looks great.

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I'm going to ignore the bickering and get this thread back where it belongs- to expand on the op!

I took my stock, yellow spoiler off yesterday. Thought I'd have to get braided fishing line, but I didn't want to spend all day trying to find just a few feet, so I took a chance and unbolted the 4 screws and then just slowly pried it off using just my hands and arms.
The gunk left from the "gaskets" was taken care of with WD40. Don't waste your time with anything else! Just get lots of old rags you will be throwing away. The spray just easts away at the old rubber.
Then I cleaned everything up and gave it a coat of wax before bolting on the new, take-off, black spoiler.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...stang/2129.jpg

Daniel60 04-24-2008 07:43 AM

I'm a fan of the no spoiler. Looks cleaner. If I had it my way I would have no spoiler, No GT badges of the side no mustang emblem in the grill.

Daniel60 04-24-2008 07:47 AM

GT Newbie you freaking rule dude . You remind me of one of my heroes, "Steve McQueen."

Daniel60 04-24-2008 07:58 AM

Here's one of my favorite pictures of our stang.

https://mustangforums.com/upfiles/11...8DFE789D30.jpg