Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STEREO GURUS ! HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:08 PM
07torchredgt
2nd Gear Member

Default STEREO GURUS ! HELP

So, I installed infinity reference 6x8's in the front doors, in hopes to help my skipper 500 sound a bit clearer. BAD IDEA. While the highs are remarkably clearer, and crisp they over power the mids even more, and the setup is now HARSH... Not sure if it was an improvement over stock.

I am going to bite the bullet, and change the HU, as well as the rear speakers.
NOW

1. How do i integrate the shaker 500 amps to a new HU... and how much would it cost me to have that installed and wired.

And 2 what is a reasonably priced double din unit that will sound good, and look decent (not looking to spend more than 3-4 hundred...

Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

Default RE: STEREO GURUS ! HELP

im not positive but im sure if you tap into the remote wire on the harnest for the stock amps it would work. just remember you get what you pay for. stereos are not the best thing to try 2 cut corners. the new pioneer double din, i forget the number, is very nice and sounds great. i think, dont hold me 2 it, it runs for 500
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

check out the stickies up top, read all of them while you are at it
Old 04-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Funny you should mention this...I just did a brief write-up on my Kenwood DDX-6019 install & review (https://mustangforums.com/m_4950521/...tm.htm#4950521)

There I point you to Taco-Bill's write up. That will answer most of your questions, but the bottom line on integrating the Shaker500 amps to your new head unit is that you need to get a simple adapter (see Crutchfield; they are your best friends for such things). Personally, the install is rather easy (if you know how to do simple wiring, all of which you can do outside of the car with the convenience of a bench and soldering iron), so I wouldn't even bother paying someone to do it. Again, if you get the wiring harnesses from Crutchfield, they give you a great blow-by-blow account of the entire install. The only thing they don't cover is getting that frippin' connector off of the driver side heater control...how hard is it to say "raise the grey lever, raise the grey lever first...sheesh!" (but I digress...)

As for an affordable head unit you'll love...did I mention the DDX-6019?

BTW, on your Infinity 6x8's, what is their Ohm rating? I thought I read somewhere that the Shaker system door speakers are 2 ohms, which then would be matched to either of the Shaker head units. If you just swapped in a 4 ohm speaker, it could be stressed by the signal its recieving. That's a wild guess, but w/o other information that's all you'll likely get.

Best,
-j
Old 04-23-2008, 05:13 PM
07torchredgt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks...THey are 2 ohm. SO regardless of what the shaker puts out, they would have been fine. Its not the speakers, Its the cheap processing built into the shaker that is "optimized" to try and make the cheapo stock speakers sound decent.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:00 PM
kevworthy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Philostang

Funny you should mention this...I just did a brief write-up on my Kenwood DDX-6019 install & review (https://mustangforums.com/m_4950521/...tm.htm#4950521)

There I point you to Taco-Bill's write up. That will answer most of your questions, but the bottom line on integrating the Shaker500 amps to your new head unit is that you need to get a simple adapter (see Crutchfield; they are your best friends for such things). Personally, the install is rather easy (if you know how to do simple wiring, all of which you can do outside of the car with the convenience of a bench and soldering iron), so I wouldn't even bother paying someone to do it. Again, if you get the wiring harnesses from Crutchfield, they give you a great blow-by-blow account of the entire install. The only thing they don't cover is getting that frippin' connector off of the driver side heater control...how hard is it to say "raise the grey lever, raise the grey lever first...sheesh!" (but I digress...)

That is funny...if you could have seen the look on my face when I saw that clip.....[8D]
Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: 07torchredgt

Thanks...THey are 2 ohm. SO regardless of what the shaker puts out, they would have been fine. Its not the speakers, Its the cheap processing built into the shaker that is "optimized" to try and make the cheapo stock speakers sound decent.

+1

If the skipppper wants a 2 ohm load
and you use a 4 ohm load its just
not going to load the amp as well and
there will be diminished power output.
The other way (skipppper wants 4 ohm
speakersbut replacement speakers are
2 ohms)and the amp will be overloaded
and possably overheat at high sustained
volumes. []

Its the built in EQing for the
"OEM non linear response speaker"
of the Skipppper 500 thats causing
harsh sound out of your near linear
response Infinitys.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:05 PM
one.wicked.stang
2nd Gear Member

I used Alpine SPS-57C2 in my wifes 07 vert and my 06 GT, sound is AMAZING over the stocks. Great Mids and Highs.