Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLZ help me guys

Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
War Machine88

Default PLZ help me guys

ok im 16 rite now i work and everything and my dad doesnt use his car which is a 88 mustang gt ...im pretty sure yall know but it has a 5.0 302 in it but anyways i wanted to get a 2005-2008 model cuz im only 16 i cant really afford to buy a 20 sumthing thousand dollar car so i was thinking about buying a v6 and dropping the whole exhaust in and getting a borla x pipe and sum new heads and a cam on that beast o and dropping the engine and putting my rebuilt 302 which i wanted to stroke to a 331 or 347 depending how much money i have but my friend was telling me to just buy a gt and stroke that cuz the new aluminum blocks are stronger....wat do yall think i should do?
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: PLZ help me guys

Huh? You want to buy a new V6 and put your dad's5 liter in it, or do a head and cam 4 liter? You're 16, if your dad lets you use the 88 be happy and try not to kill yourself with it.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:38 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

+1. Not to sound like an *** but if you can't afford the gt you definitely can't afford to do what you're talking about. I'm 25 now and I had to start out with an older mustang when I was 16 too. Be happy with the 5.0. It's a great car and there's a whole lot you can do with one. If you're getting it for free be happy and careful with it.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

get what you can afford, and dont take a project that is too big for your britches. seeing as you're 16 and working, thats great, i was doing the same thing at that age and had a used mustang and modded that, there was no way that i could have afforded modding a brand new car all by myself at that age. i say take the 88 and mod that, aint nothing wrong w/ a foxbody.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

how bout no
Old 04-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Take the 88' and be happy. You dont need a car payment at this point in your life. 88's are way cheaper to modify.
They also start out 300+ lb lighter for GT's. Used performance parts abound. 11's are doable on Heads/Cam cars with stock short-block if you plan well. The only change I would make to the car to start with would be a good wax job and change the cheese grater tail lights for LX parts.

Hang out on the 5.0 section of various Mustang Sites and do lots of searches and reading before you ever ask a question. That way it will be awell thought out question and it will be well received. Here for instance this topic would have likely got a better response if yiou had simply asked, "How difficult is a 5.0 swap into a S197?".

Make sure you have a plan and a destination before you ever start to mod the 88. Otherwise you will end up with a mishmash of unmatched parts that dont work well together.

Fox-Bodies are the 55-57 Chevy, 67-69 Camaro of our age. (Sorry for the Chevy reference).

You have no idea of what you are getting into trying to do a 5.0 swap into a 2005+.
Trans and electronics could definately cause some issues.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:54 PM
War Machine88

no like the fox body is kool but the suspension,tires and everything will surely break piece by piece considering its just been sitting outside for about 12 years so its basically all engine that i can actually use so yah i can afford a gt too its just i want a bigger engine in the a S197 style cuz thats my dream car but yah basically all i wanted to know is how hard would that be any cost estimates would be appreciated and should i buy a v6 and drop the engine or a v8 and drop that engine i mean ill prolly use it awhile but when i get the money and time to do it ill swap it out with the 302.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: War Machine88

no like the fox body is kool but the suspension,tires and everything will surely break piece by piece considering its just been sitting outside for about 12 years so its basically all engine that i can actually use so yah i can afford a gt too its just i want a bigger engine in the a S197 style cuz thats my dream car but yah basically all i wanted to know is how hard would that be any cost estimates would be appreciated and should i buy a v6 and drop the engine or a v8 and drop that engine i mean ill prolly use it awhile but when i get the money and time to do it ill swap it out with the 302.
What they're trying to tell you here is that an engine swap of any sort in an S197 will be very cost prohibitive and not at all practical. Too many expensive issues to deal with:

Emissions (you would most likely never pass an inspection)
Electronics/Computer controls (trying to get a push rod 302 to run on 4.6 controls would be insane)
Motor mounts
Transmission adapters
Plus a thousand other issues that will just require $$$$$$$ you don't have

Start with something you can afford, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

P.S. Punctuation is your freind.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: War Machine88

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PLZ help me guys