Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default Stereo question

I installed the brandmotion iPod adapter, the one that allows you to control the iPod directly from the HU.. It uses an iPod plug, and actually charges the iPod, too. My question is this:

There is a terrible humming noise that is present, and changes pitch with engine RPM. I presume it to be feedback from the alternator.. It's not a problem with the HU ( I don't think - shaker 1k), as it ONLY does it with this device, not when the radio or the CD player is playing.

The install for this device is simply a plug-n-play, not even so much as a requirement to "vampire tap" a hot or a ground. It is 100% plug-n-play into the factory harness.

Anyone know what this is, how to find it, and how to eliminate it? I have some basic hand tools, a lot of electrical tape, and a pretty good DVOM.. I'd sure like to fix this, it's so horrible I don't even want to listen to it...

And before anyone asks about how the interface is, I don't know, I was so irritated by the buzzing that I didn't have enough time to figure it all out...

Thanks in advance for all your input guys!!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stereo question

Ya, the electrical system for the car is creating noise on the audio line. Is this only when the ipod is plugged in, or does it occur anytime you are on that input? Is this going in to an aux input or is it going in the antenna and you tune to a certain frequency? I have no idea how its configured/works. Can you post a link to instructions for the device, or any information on it?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:39 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

You can't use anything on the input other than the iPod, since it's an iPod plug..

It's connected to the AUX input. The install it stupid easy, dummyproof. Unplug the plugs from the back of the stereo. Plug in the iPod adapter. Plug the stereo plugs into the other end of the iPod adapter.

Need a link? Check the sponsors page.

So far you haven't told me anything I didn't already know. PLEASE tell me you have something else coming.. LOL

Anybody else have a clue?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
washburn085
2nd Gear Member

By input, I meant Sat1, since that is what you tune to (according to their videos, Aux in if thats what you tune to for direct HU setup). If you tune to Sat1 (or Aux In) do you hear the whine or is it only when you have the ipod inserted and playing music? This will narrow down where the power is bleeding into the audio.Trace over your lines, make sure it is all connected, nothing is pinched. It may be the harness or connector box.

Sorry if you already know all of this, but if you dont see anything not connect or pinched, then its a problem with the harness connector or box. sounds like the ground in the box is bad and is floating. Check it, then call them and get a replacement.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:21 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I don't have Satellite radio, so it's just the Aux button.

Nothing is pinched or loose, I checked that already..

You only hear the whine when the iPod is connected and playing. When the iPod is not connected and you press the aux button, you get a message on the HU that says "No Aux Input".

I was hoping for something more along the lines of "check the resistance of X" or "move the ground to <here>", or "if the voltage on "X" is above X, then wire in a resistor" or something like that..

I'm sure hoping it's not the unit itself, I got it as a Christmas gift, and so I have no receipt or anything else for it..
Old 04-23-2008, 11:14 PM
dc mike

I'm far from an expert on this stuff, but you're probably right about the alternator noise. Car radios are designed to minimize the interference, but that doesn't affect the iPod. It's possible that the cable going to the iPod isn't properly shielded or grounded, but since the iPod is getting power from the 12v system, it's likely that it's the power supply. You should be able to put a capacitor inline on the iPod power source... just like you would with a noisy head unit.

EDIT... Ok, I wasn't familiar with the BrandMotion unit, so I checked it out their web site. I would definitely call them... a piece like that shouldn't have noise problems. If you got it for Christmas, it should be under warranty.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Warranty
Warranty
Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
phatphil
3rd Gear Member

Voltage Regulator (Shaker 500 Only):

This is needed because the Ford Amplifiers in the Shaker 500 system require only a 5V turn on signal; however the Avic-D3 puts out 12V. This causes a popping sound to be heard every time the car starts up.

To fix this, you must put this regulator (7805 from Radioshack) in between the Blue/White System Remote Control output from the white Pioneer Harness (input) and the 2 Blue/White wires from the small Metra Harness (both go to the output) The middle of the regulator is for the ground. To make this easier, I took 3 pieces of the parking brake leftover wire and attached those to the Regulator, then to the other leads.

This could be the fix.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: phatphil

Voltage Regulator (Shaker 500 Only):

This is needed because the Ford Amplifiers in the Shaker 500 system require only a 5V turn on signal; however the Avic-D3 puts out 12V. This causes a popping sound to be heard every time the car starts up.

To fix this, you must put this regulator (7805 from Radioshack) in between the Blue/White System Remote Control output from the white Pioneer Harness (input) and the 2 Blue/White wires from the small Metra Harness (both go to the output) The middle of the regulator is for the ground. To make this easier, I took 3 pieces of the parking brake leftover wire and attached those to the Regulator, then to the other leads.

This could be the fix.
Ford HU with Ford amps?
I dont think so.
Nice try, though.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

exx1976
you might try adjusting the volume/output level of the ipod before your plug it in. I know that with my ipod if the volume is set too loud (say over 80% of the volume bar is 'filled') then the radio output can befuzzy. try turning your ipod volume down to say half volume and then plug it in and try it. experiment with those sound levels.

I must say I have had my Brandmotion in for 3 weeks now and have taken the car out and used the ipod integration a couple of times and I LOVE IT. at first I just did not know how to navigate and got frustratedbut once I got that licked, well, its all loud digital music from here on out! if you see a stock looking tungsten grey 06 gt in the philly suburbsrattlingfrom excessivesound, then you know you found me...