Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCT, Cold air intake, & pulley kit question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:45 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Default SCT, Cold air intake, & pulley kit question

Ok I bought the SCT Xcal, the Steeda CAI and teh Steeda pulley kit for my 05, the box arrived today and all the parts look real pretty.I also ordered a pair of MAC mufflers but they won't be here until Monday. My question is the pully kit, I paid $250 for it and it appears to take an hour to install, I paid $250 for the kit. Is it worth the cash? I only ordered them because I thought since I am getting some HP from the tune and the CAI I may as well spend a little more to get a little more HP but are the pulleys a smart cost effective way to get some HP I heard that they add 10 RWHP, would you return them or install them if you were me.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:49 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: SCT, Cold air intake, & pulley kit question

10hp ( in my opinion ) is going to be stretching it a bit. Actually more like doubling it. I would expect ( at best ) 4 to 5 horsies out of them. In my opinion, the $ per HP is not justifiable.

Well, that and I am still waiting until fall to see what everyone that lives where airconditioning is NOT an option feels about installing something that lowers the efficiency of your cooling system and your a/c in the southern summers.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:57 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

hey, jagbits...those were the same first three mods that i put on my car. I was quite impressed with the power gains i got from the them. Granted, it is in excess of $850 plus cost of install on the pulleys, so hawgman does have a point. Me personally, i am trying to get the most HP/TQ out of my car with it still being naturally aspired so i went ahead and got them. steeda dyno'd the pulleys at 8HP, atleast that's what they told me

In other words, dollar to HP ratio is in the eye of the buyer. If you already bought them, put them on and enjoy
Old 04-20-2005, 06:40 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mac10chap

hey, jagbits...those were the same first three mods that i put on my car. I was quite impressed with the power gains i got from the them. Granted, it is in excess of $850 plus cost of install on the pulleys, so hawgman does have a point. Me personally, i am trying to get the most HP/TQ out of my car with it still being naturally aspired so i went ahead and got them. steeda dyno'd the pulleys at 8HP, atleast that's what they told me

In other words, dollar to HP ratio is in the eye of the buyer. If you already bought them, put them on and enjoy
I have all of them on my car and learned a few things in the process. The main thing is you need a finger puller to remove the stock balancer and it is a real good idea to remove the electric fan to give you room to use the puller. I have had mine on for 5000 miles and had no problems with heat or A/C running. My car charges in the same spot it did with the stock pulleys. My car's A/C pumps out the cold just fine. With 4.10 gears making my car turn more RPM than stock, my car is probably turning the pulleys the same speed as a stock gear car. This lowers wear and tear on the rotating parts like alternator, A/C and water pump. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
FuzzyRag
1st Gear Member

Don't know on these cars, but UDP on a 2000 Cougar netted 1hp at the wheels.