Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple track questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 AM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

Default Couple track questions

I need a couple track questions answered as I'm behind the 8 ball again. Went last night and I seen an improvement but not what I thought I would see with all th emoney and work I put into the car this winter. Granted I'm new to racing and I really need to lower my 60 foot times but I'm trying to find out the following

-How much does an 07 preimum weight as it sits on the street?
-Will going to my D/R's and 17's drop much time off my 60 foot times and my E/T? (Couldn't use them last night as I didn't have the right lug nuts to fit the new wheels GRRRR)
-At a trap of 106.5 MPH what should my ET be
-Finally does 1250' above see level really make that much of a difference?

Like I said I'm new to racing but not to driving, I felt quite a few times last night I got a good launch, ecept once when I tried something new, but 60 foot times from 2.1 to 2.3 are not what I'm looking for, is it the 18's? The Street Tires? Clutch? Elevation?

I'm at a loss but this is the what I've got done very similar to others here that run in the 12's..........so again I'm lost, give some pointers if ya can.

Mods are in Sig
Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Couple track questions

At 106.5, your ET would probably be around 13.2, but there's a lot of factors that play into ET so that's just a guess. With 3.73's and the spyder shaft, you definitely should have some lower 60's. Part of it is the tires, but I've seen people get all the way down to 1.8's on stock tires. It just takes practice. The stock 17's are heavy. You won't loose much there, but the drag radials would help tremendously. But again with the DR's, it will take a lot of practice. I only improved 1 tenth over my previous best 60' with the drag radials, but I've only got to run them for 2 runs. I was having a clutch issue. I also went with a taller tire, so that slowed it just a bit. I'm very confident though that even with stock gearing, I can get the 60's a lot lower.

It's all really just practice. With a good launch and tight shifting, you definitely have a car capable of 12's, even on stock tires.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

The drag radials will make a HUGE difference.I went from a 13.9 to a 13.69 on my first run with drag radials. As I get better and better, my times are coming down. My best so far is 13.02. My best 60ft is 1.76. I'm not trying to go as fast as the car will go, I'm trying to be the most consistent since I bracket race.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

is your car auto or a 5 speed? and what are you launching at?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

The stock 17's are heavy
Not in comparison to the 18s he is running now??? You will lose weight and get better launches with the stock 17" rims.

You need to run the stock 17 with some ET Streets or something sticky. I get consistent 1.60 times on STOCK suspension with those tires.
Since it is for track only why bother going with a drag radial? They will not hook as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:15 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

DR's will help you tremendously. Im new to the whole racing deal just like you are, before DR's my best run was a 13.9, i was running constant 14's. This was my 1st time ever at the strip. I bought some 17's with some mt et streets, this is my 2nd time ever at the strip, my first run i get a 13.5, i continue to run 13.3's and 13.4's, my best run was a 13.2 that same night. That was at 105mph, with a 2.0 60ft. I think my 3.31's are causing my high 60fts.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

My car is stick. I drop the clutch at 5K with no traction issues at all. I use radials because I change to them the night before I race. I'm not comfortable running a bias/radial mix on the street. For friday racing, the track opens at 5 with time trials starting at 5:30. By the time I leave work and get to the track it is almost 5:30. If I changed my tires at the track I'd miss the first time trial. I think with his power and times, bias ply tires are a little overkill.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

trying to be the most consistent since I bracket race
My car is setup for bracket racing. Winning or losing a round is measured in 1/100ths of a second.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

It was said earlier, practice. Elevation is obviously a factor, but that 106.5 trap could definently get you into the 12s with a good launch and some great shifting. Obviously the 17s with DR can get you better 60 times than the stock tires, though even with the stock tires, you could get the 60 time you need to dipinto the 12s. Just takes some experience.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:36 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies thus far!! Last night I used my stock 18 Fanblades with the Stock BF Tires on it. The Wheels I bought are 17" black bullits (aftermarket), they are noticably lighter than my 18's but I pulled a n00b hat mistake and didn't check on the lugs.....that will be fixed next time out. As for my DR's I call them that I bought M/T ET Streets, they are not the Radial ones they only have two very little wavy grooves in the tire and are not the ones that look like they have tread on them.

I will definately practice some more I think I got an idea on how to mash the break and have a lil drag on the clutch and still get some RPM's up.........I have an issue with jamming my feet in there to cover all the pedals and have room to work =)

But again thanks for the info, and on the bright side, I beat a Supercharged Cop car anyway.

Quick Reply: Couple track questions