Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important question from a parent towards a child's safety

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 03:05 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: hey guys first post and important question from a parent.

True, I guess kids just don't have to buy their own cars anymore?
It's amazing how much a 17 year old can appreciate an '86 VW Scirocco when they worked their *** off to pay for it themself! I know from personal experience.
Not to mention that by spending 30k on your kids first car sets some pretty high expectations. I mean you will either have to keep paying for their new cars as they get older or they will be sorely disappointed when they actually have to pay for one on their own.
Sorry for the rant. I'm done!
Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Yep, I agree...had to work for my all my cars I'm happy I had to though.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Driving is a right of passage for any teenager.....then comes their ability to prove themselves as responsible and accoutable......first car; V8 mustang...I SAY NO.......V6 mustang......I say yes andlet him earn his wings and pay his dues.....my son started out with an old fixer upper 89 Chevy truck. A year and a half later, no tickets, no wrecks and an extreme LOVE for mustangs, we bought him his first V8 mustang (2002)......now going on 20, his stang is S/C, cammed, and racing at the track....still no tickets, no wrecks.....I think you get where Im going with this!!!!

Good luck from one parent to another, with a BOY!!!!! Admire your enjoyment to please your son!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Can't ANY of you read between the lines??? This guy wants to drive it, too,and needs a way to sell it to the old lady... LOL!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

I am over 40 now, but My first car was a 1970 Pontic Leman's with a 400 ci 4bbl carb. It was a Muscle car. In less then two years, before I was 18 the damage I did to the car, and accidents.

Transmission needed to be completely rebuild. It would not shift out of first.
Engine, Threw a Rod. New engine, stepped down to a 350 ci
Radiator, blew it
Tires, woren down to no tread

A Muscle car in the hands of a 17 year boy, NO!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:16 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

Can't ANY of you read between the lines??? This guy wants to drive it, too,and needs a way to sell it to the old lady... LOL!
HAHA! Good point. In that case get the S/C and then make up some BS punishment that prevents the kid from driving the car til he's 30.
NOW this post makes sense!!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:17 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leoleo

I am over 40 now, but My first car was a 1970 Pontic Leman's with a 400 ci 4bbl carb. It was a Muscle car. In less then two years, before I was 18 the damage I did to the car, and accidents.

Transmission needed to be completely rebuild. It would not shift out of first.
Engine, Threw a Rod. New engine, stepped down to a 350 ci
Radiator, blew it
Tires, woren down to no tread

A Muscle car in the hands of a 17 year boy, NO!!!!!!!
I don't know. Sounds like normal wear and tear on a 1970 Pontiac...
Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 PM
Back N Black
2nd Gear Member

Here is my $.02.

My first ride was a 1962 Pontiac with a 389, my second was a half ton truck with a 454. My ability as a driver kept me from being killed. That ability, believe it or not, came from my mother and from Dad's vette.

When Dad was out of town mom would take me out in his vette and she would do a fishtail and tell me what she was doing to make the car do that and then we would switch seats and it was my turn and I had to talk through it. My mother taught me how to drive a car fast and in control.

Moral of the story is, DO NOT BLINDLY HAND THE KEYS TO 300HP TO AN UNEDUCATED 17 YEAR OLD.

Your son will try to peel out, fish tail and drag race no matter how much you tell him not to and he says he won't. Show your son how to use the tool you are about to hand him.

My parents and I also had a standing agreement. If anybody wanted to race me, MY PARENTS, would pay for both of our entry fees to the local dragstrip.

Encourage responsible driving by showing and doing, not by talking and scolding.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

The age of a driver isn't the issue, it is the amount of experience. I'm 17, but I've been operating machines and vehicles since I was 13. I'm assuming your child has been driving since he/she was 15/16, meaning he/she has about 1 year of driving experience. I think a V6 would be the best option. If you got a GT, you could have a limited use period where he/she only drove with you and learned the power, etc. Then once he/she is able to control the car you can let he/she drive it alone. Definately do not get the supercharged Mustang.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:47 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

for the first car you might wanna look into a cheaper used mustang. like a 2000-2004 or so. A brand new car for a first car is kinda risky

Quick Reply: Important question from a parent towards a child's safety