Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

panhead bar

Old 04-24-2005, 05:59 PM
luv_the_stang
1st Gear Member

Default panhead bar

hiyaaa

i heard alot about when you lower the stang you need a new panhead bar????

why is this?

ty
Old 04-24-2005, 10:52 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: panhead bar

The panhard bar will move the axel sideways in your car when you hit a bump as it attaches to the frame on one side and the axel on the other.
as you compress the suspension it will actually push the axel one direction and when you decompress the suspesion it will pull it the other.
If you lower the car without adjusting the legth of the bar it will push your axel to the side (think on this car the drivers side).
This is my understanding of it. You need to adjust the panhard bar lengh after adjusting the ride hight so that it is neutral.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:57 PM
MobyDickDog
2nd Gear Member

My suggestion would be not to lower your 2005 Mustang if we do not know the purpose of a PANARD BAR.

It's great to learn stuff here on this Forum before you start spending money.

As I stated somewhere else on this Forum, Ford and articles written about the 2005 Mustang suggested that lowering it was not a recommended thing to do. I apologize for not having the magazine titles that I read this. I do know that I was in a Barber shop at the time.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:17 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

haha.. F ford.. they make an awsome car and jack it up 4 inches high in the air?? I feel like a 4x4 and cant see the curbs. Damn right I'm lowern' my car.. well.. most likey have someone else do it.. but now I can tell the go adjust my panhard after they are done and hope they dont smack me
Old 04-25-2005, 01:36 AM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

some stuff you may want to understand b4 messing with the panhard bar

http://www.jimmyjudd.com/Tech/Panhar...nhard_bar.html

Lots to think about!
Old 04-25-2005, 01:41 PM
CoochDog

Default It's spelled "PANHARD"

Simply put: when you lower an 05 Mustang, you'll need an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear axle.

Tuning a panhard bar for optimal suspension performance is not a simplistic endeavor (there's math involved!) - however this is more for optimizing at the limit handling characteristics - cruising/driving around town you probably aren't going to notice that your roll-center is a bit off.

For those looking for adjustable panhard bars (and other suspension/chassis components), BMR Fabrication and Spohn have some *really* nice offerings...

http://www.spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1178
http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005Mustang.htm

https://mustangforums.com/m_363132/tm.htm
http://www.lmperformance.com/c/1/73.html

Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: It's spelled "PANHARD"

Isn't improving the "limit" of handling characteristics what we are talking about? otherwise leave the thing alone!
If it was just for cruising, by a caddy.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:02 PM
CoochDog

ORIGINAL: showam1

Isn't improving the "limit" of handling characteristics what we are talking about? otherwise leave the thing alone!
I'd venture to say that *most* people lower their cars purely for looks.

Some here have already lowered their cars and noticed that after doing so the axle is off center. To correct this situation, an adjustable panhard bar is needed.

Yes, there are some ramifications of altering panhard bar geometry. However those that aren't using their cars in a competitive environment** don't need to be overly concerned and will probably never notice - they just need the adjustability to be able to get the axle recentered under the car.

**By "competitive environment" I mean primarily autocross and road racing - not so much drag racing as I believe the implications of the panhard bar geometry changes will be recognized only under heavy turning loads - but I don't have much drag racing experience, so I may be off a bit there.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:36 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

I agree that most people won't push there stangs in a road course, I'm more concerned with the panhard bar not being adjusted correctly for hard cornering such as in an emergent evasive action at high speed, where all of a sudden, you realize (to late) that maybe it was more important than you thought.
In a situation like that you might find you compromised handling to the point of it being worse than the stock car.
My point is as long as you are doing it, you might as well pay attention to all the aspects of the setup instead of just the "look"
ORIGINAL: CoochDog

ORIGINAL: showam1

I'd venture to say that *most* people lower their cars purely for looks.

Some here have already lowered their cars and noticed that after doing so the axle is off center. To correct this situation, an adjustable panhard bar is needed.

Yes, there are some ramifications of altering panhard bar geometry. However those that aren't using their cars in a competitive environment** don't need to be overly concerned and will probably never notice - they just need the adjustability to be able to get the axle recentered under the car.

**By "competitive environment" I mean primarily autocross and road racing - not so much drag racing as I believe the implications of the panhard bar geometry changes will be recognized only under heavy turning loads - but I don't have much drag racing experience, so I may be off a bit there.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:21 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

thanks for the links.. I dont know about the panhard bar.. but if it makes a difference then I dont see anything wrong paying another 100 for it. but those other parts look crazy under the car in that one pic.. I lower my card for looks and better performance.. too much roll.. too high.. but I dont want to end up investing 1K for just that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: panhead bar