Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SECURITY HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM
cal66

Default SECURITY HELP PLEASE

I am the very happy owner of a 2007 Shelby for about a month now. Itotally crazy for the car, bought new 20" wheels and tires last week and want do do additional mods but I have just started thinking about how I would feel if it disappeared. Do any of you have any recommendations (in addition to LoJack) about how you protect your car from theft? All of us are car nuts, otherwise we would not be on line looking forhelp with mods and other stuff.

I have not found any threads about security like how to cut off the fuel or interrupt the electrical system (without messing up the electronics) to prevent someone from grabbing our cars. If anyone has any thoughts or can suggest any threads or postson this subject, please let me know. I for sure, and probably a lot of us have thought about this. Thanks!![8D]
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 PM
MikeD916
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SECURITY HELP PLEASE

Not sure if the 2007 Shelby would be different but from another thread I read, theives can fish your car alarm (alarm horn) wires through the front grill and cut them to prevent the audible portion from going off. Assuming you have the same stock active alarm system from Ford as I do. I verified it myself and the wires are right there and free to cut. I planon covering them up with metal piping or something to prevent the cutting. I realize that the alarm will still activate at this point and the ignition will be disabled from starting without the key but still a good tip to know.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:26 PM
boochy
CSMG Moderator

With the PATS key system, a thief would need your exact car key to start the car. It won't start any other way. They can still steal what is in the car, but they can't drive it anywhere.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:21 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeD916

Not sure if the 2007 Shelby would be different but from another thread I read, theives can fish your car alarm (alarm horn) wires through the front grill and cut them to prevent the audible portion from going off. Assuming you have the same stock active alarm system from Ford as I do. I verified it myself and the wires are right there and free to cut. I planon covering them up with metal piping or something to prevent the cutting. I realize that the alarm will still activate at this point and the ignition will be disabled from starting without the key but still a good tip to know.
Good tip. But if I am not mistaken, the factory active alarm also includes a secondary alarm horn that is in the rear, by the passenger side wheel well.....

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boochy

With the PATS key system, a thief would need your exact car key to start the car. It won't start any other way. They can still steal what is in the car, but they can't drive it anywhere.
However there are numerous ways around that. But only really good theifs now how to do stuff of that nature. I've heard of more than a few cars being stolen without the keys.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:56 PM
baker 46
1st Gear Member

*Locate your push to start button in the center console 12v slot, and run the ignition wires away from your steering column.

*Install a fuel interupt switch under the drivers side and in the center console.

*GPS enabled Nextell is more accurate then lo-jak you just need a place to hide it and keep it charged.

*Memorize your plate# and keep your vin# in your wallet.

*Don't park it in out of the way places.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 PM
MikeD916
1st Gear Member

"Mustang Anti-Theft: The optional active anti-theft package offers a sensing module to guard against tow-away thefts; an interior motion sensor to detect smash-and-grab break ins, another good idea - the separate alarm sounder - in addition to the horn - just in case a thief tries to 'get smart' and disable the horn; also the high-capacity battery allows the alarm to sound longer!"

Wonder if both horns go off at the same time.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:39 PM
ollied
1st Gear Member

try this: http://www.mobileangelgps.net/index.html
Old 05-17-2008, 07:06 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

Just have good insurance. Spend the money on real mods.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:32 AM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

+1

I have the mobile angel GPS and best bang for the buck, unlike other GPS services once you buy locates they do not expire, they are there till you use them. I know ford kept trying to sell me one, but the locates expired every month and i was like screw that.

Other great features of mobile angel, you can set it to text your cell phone as well as email you if someone sets off your alarm or cuts your battery. They give you multible notifications too, you can have it text more then one phone, and email more then one account, I think over all it gives you 5 notifications.

Also another great option is you are in control, they set off your alarm you can track it online and disable the battery, next time they shut off the car it will not start again.Then you call the police and let them know where your car is and they can goretrieve it and hopfully catch thejerks that stole it.

Another great feature,if you lock your keysin your caryou can go online or have someone go online, log into your account and unlock your doors. Of if you opt to pay the extra money for the angel services you can just call a number and they will unlock your doors for you.

Overall it is pretty cheap, around here it was $600 for the system which comes with 15 free locates, keep in mind in order for the mobile angel to work you need to have some sort of alarm, either factory or aftermarket. Then locates are cheap, I got 250 without the angel services for $50.

250 locates with angel services is $99, i didnt get the angel services because i can always track my car myself and unlock the doors myself with my cellphone by going to there website. They also have other bundles with more locates.

How the locates work, if you locate you car online it counts as one, if someone sets off your alarm it takes away a locate, if you get a low battery notification it uses a locate, so in the winter make sure to keep that battery charged...... If you set up speed restrictions and the person driving your car goes over the speed it counts as a locate etc...

Personaly I had this sytem in my old mustang (they transferred it to my new car) and I never once had to use it, but great knowing it is there for protection, if i am in a crappy area i can enjoy a concert or dinner knowing that if anyone tries to break into my car i am going to get a text and can run out and scare them off before any major damage or even worse my car gets stolen.

ORIGINAL: ollied

try this: http://www.mobileangelgps.net/index.html

Quick Reply: SECURITY HELP PLEASE