Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:18 AM
TJMJoe
2nd Gear Member

Default Automatic Shifters

Alright so I just have a few quick questions-

1- What's the real reason for them?
2- Do you need a tranny upgrade to use them? (Are they going to hurt the stock transmission?)
3- Is it worth it? (eBay page)
3a- Does this shifter work on a 07 Mustang GT?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:25 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic Shifters

What kind of transmission are you running?

I've heard (notice I said heard, no first hand experience) that the hurst shifters like that aren't all that great. Check into B&M.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TJMJoe

Alright so I just have a few quick questions-

1- What's the real reason for them?
2- Do you need a tranny upgrade to use them? (Are they going to hurt the stock transmission?)
3- Is it worth it? (eBay page)
3a- Does this shifter work on a 07 Mustang GT?

Thanks!
I'll give you my opinions:

1. The real reason for an auto ratchet shifter is for the driver to be able to control gear selection rather than the computer. When programming the computer, they don't know every situation and can only program for normal condition driving. There is conditions like how far you are pressing the gas pedal that will change shift points but lets say you are going through a corner and you want to keep the RPMs higher for trans braking and increased torque coming out of the corner, this shifter gives you that control.

2. No upgrade to the tranny is required but you need to buy a shifter that is designed for that tranny. To my knowledge there are only 2, one from TCI and one from B&M, neither are available yet. The 1 from B&M is butt ugly and has been "coming out" for almost 2 years now... I think the 1 from TCI looks great. It was supposed to be out in January but it has slipped. I heard will be out in the next 2-3 months though. When it comes out I'll get it.

3. Is it worth it? That's up to you. Depending on how much money you have and how important it is to you. I think what you really have to ask yourself is why do you want it. If all you do with the car is commute and/or drag race, I would say no. You can't get better than the computer to shift the car in drag racing. With the ability to program shift points it can shift the car at the exact best moment (depending on your tune) and the variables in condition are gone since you are wide open throttle. When commuting the computer can figure out the best gear selection to maximize fuel mileage. The other factor is looks, I hate the stock cheap rattle rattle stick and can't wait for the TCI shifter.

3a. I doubt that shifter would work. I don't know any shifters that are made for a 5 speed automatic yet. Plus you'd have to get rid of the center console or hack it up.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. -Joe
Old 05-18-2008, 12:40 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

From what I've heard, the TCI shifter won't be out until September, and it will be close to 500 bucks!

I was thinking about it, until I heard about the price, not spending 500 bucks for looks. Lets face it, with these cars, leave it in D, and with a good tune, you're set, no need to manually shift these autos, so I think going from stock to aftermarket in this case is a lateral move performance wise, and not worth it, IMHO.