Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10" Stripe Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 AM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

Default 10" Stripe Install Questions

So I finally got the ***** to try to put my 10" racing stripes with a 2" gap on. I've been hesitant but I have vacation time so what the hell. I will start Weds. morning cause I know it will take hours and hours and probably two days. I know the basics: make sure my car is very clean, rub with alcohol after wash, spray the car and stripes with the soap/water solution, keep them very wet to move around into position, squeegee the stripe down. Now if I want a two inch gap do I use one and a half inch tape and kind of guesstimate a half inch from both sides? What kind of tape did everyone use? Oh yeah how do I work around the washer nozzles and can they be removed easily? Any and all help or links will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 05-20-2008, 03:24 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 10" Stripe Install Questions

The washer nozzles come out very easily. You may need to pull out your underside hood mat. They kind of twist and pull out real easy. I would take them off and then after a few days put them back on.

To get the correct gap I would use painter masking tape and measure exactly two inches in several locations on the hood, roof, deck and so on. You can even use a chalk line to lay it out to place the tape down. Then you have one solid edge to wreference off of.

They really aren't that hard to put on.Use lots offluid and take your time.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:34 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

I used blue painters tape and measured the 2" gap exactly (narrow width tape using two pieces at each point).

I removed ALL the paper (front and back) from each vinyl piece before I installed it. This is much easier then leaving the backing paper on, waiting for it to dry, and then trying to peel it off without pulling the vinyl with it. It's also much easier to apply the vinyl without any paper attached at all.

To remove the washer nozzles, just pop your hood, reach underneath the insulation panel, and disconnect the nozzles from the washer hoses (you wont be able to see what your doing here). It takes a bit of wiggling, but they come right off. Then justremove the nozzles from the top side - they'll come right out.

Probably the most important tip of all, use a hair dryer (NOT A HEAT GUN). Trust me, it makes the jobmuch easier. You'll notice over the bumpers, the vinyldoesn't wantto lay downflat due to the contours.Just usethe dryer (holding it several inches away) and stoke the wrinkles outof thevinyl with your thumb.After several seconds, to a minute or two,they'll layflat like magic.

Good Luck...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:27 AM
Wildpig51
2nd Gear Member

+1 on both of the above posts. It took me anda friend almost 8hrs but it was the first time for both of us. the hair dryer was very handy for the bumpers.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Don't use a chalk line its abrasive!!!![:'(]
Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wingman75

Don't use a chalk line its abrasive!!!![:'(]
LOL....I was wondering about that. I wouldn't have tried it.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

So I went out and bought 2" blue painters tape. I'm guessing that will be okay, just stay very close to the tape. I figured it would be easier than getting a smaller width tape like 1 and a half inch tape and measure about a fourth of an inch out on both sides to make it 2 inches. Is that okay? Also how did everyone measure the center of the car on the hood and roof? Did you measure from the sides of the car to the center or just follow the center line of the car by eye and lay tape down?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silstang23

So I went out and bought 2" blue painters tape. I'm guessing that will be okay, just stay very close to the tape. I figured it would be easier than getting a smaller width tape like 1 and a half inch tape and measure about a fourth of an inch out on both sides to make it 2 inches. Is that okay? Also how did everyone measure the center of the car on the hood and roof? Did you measure from the sides of the car to the center or just follow the center line of the car by eye and lay tape down?
I used a piece of twine cut to the width of each panel and folded it in half to find the center. If you got your stripes from BSM, please don't get any water on the paper before trying to peel them off, esle they will stick to the paper. Also be sure you have a helper as they will try to fold over on themselves when you are peeling. I think i'd get something a little stronger than alcohol to remove the wax. I used naptha from the hardware store, it's in the paint section.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:09 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

It's a good thing I have been to lazy to wax my car because I have heard of some peope washing their car three times before trying to apply the stripes. My car is screaming yellow so I haven't felt the need to wax it, it always shines after I wash it. My first mustang was a '97 and black so I would wax it. When you wax a black car it just always looks better.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:47 PM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

I forgot to ask how everyone dealt with putting the stripes on the rear deck and working around the factory spoiler?

Quick Reply: 10" Stripe Install Questions