Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spohn LCA Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
08Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

Default Spohn LCA Install Help

Hey all, I have been working on my car recently and finally put in the Spohn Lower Control Arms - Tubular Adjustable with Spherical/Poly Combo and I need some help.

The instructions did not specify whether or not the larger spacer on the rod end goes on the inside of the car or on the wheel side. I put the longer end on the inside (away from wheel) and I fear it may be on the wrong side as it squeaks like crazy when I drive it. The image below shows what I'm talking about:

So like I said, which side does the longer spacer go on? If I in fact did put it on the wrong side, did I ruin the suspension at all? To be completely honest, after I drove it, the LCA brackets looked slightly bent. I am afraid that I have ruined something and well, will have to spend money I don't have fixing it. Please help.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:31 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Spohn LCA Install Help

offset points in
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
08Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

So what does that mean? I put the longer spacer on the inside meaning that if you were to look from the back of the car, the wheel side has the short spacer and the other side has the long spacer.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yes
Old 05-20-2008, 07:50 PM
08Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

If I did it correct, then what the hell could be the reason for the INSANE creak/squeaking? It makes noise like every little dip, bump, turn, and even when I sit in my car...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

The reason is that Spohn sucks and unfortunately I learned the hard way too...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have read many great reviews on the Spohn products and they are comparable to BMR (seriously). Did you have the rod ends furthest from the frame? Did you grease the zerts? and if the zerts are pointing up you installed them wrong or just made it much harder to grease in the future. (sure the instruction said that). Most will tell you that rod ends WILL squeak and be noisy to a point because they are a stiffer joint and have no cushion to absorb the bumps and potholes...... maybe a poly to poly end would have been better for you...JMO but check to see if the poly end is attached to the frame and the other end (is farest from the frame).....make any sense?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I have poly on poly adjustable LCAs and Spohn told me that the reason why they squeaked and creaked from day one was because they were over-greased or installed wrong. They told me to take a hike andbuy new bushings and this was alltyped in crappy incomplete sentences like I was one of their drinking buddies - later with that sh*t.

They get 0 points for customer service...

BTW, this is just my opinion and maybe other people are satisfied with their products and service (not me though).

ALSO:one of myLCAs came loose from not the nut portion butby the peicethat's NOT supposed to come loose (the solid part behind the nut). My performanceguy had to use super-duty Loctite to fix it and said that he's never seen something like that on a LCA.

Besides that, their product is good (I guess)but those issues turned me off - big time.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:09 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

my spohn lcas sqeak like crap too. I hate them and feel like going back to stock. First they tell me i need to add more grease to make it squeek less and now i read from you i prolly over greesed it?...... The sqeeky noise makes me feel like my car is a broken old POS which is prolly why they are gonna have to go.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I had Spohn adjustable poly/poly installed for 2 weeks. I couldnt stand it and they even made noise after regreasing.
I went with the GT500 LCA and no noise.