Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recharging intake filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

Default recharging intake filter

whats involved and how long dose it need to dry
Old 05-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: recharging intake filter

What's up Brenden.....I just cleaned mine a couple of weeks ago. I got the K&N Cleaner Kit, real easy to do, you can't imagine what comes out of that thing, even though it looks clean.I followed the simple instuctions and re-oiled it. It was so dirty that when I first started the car, it wouldn't idle right until the Computer readjusted itself for the increased airflow. I'll be doing this more often from now on.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

How often would you guys says it needs to be cleaned and re oiled???
Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 AM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

If it's your DD, I'd say about 8 months or so, not your DD, probably once a year.... I just recharged mine after a year and its a DD, amazing how much dirt came out of it, and how big a difference it made.. Pretty easy man, just spray the cleaning solution, let soak 10 minutes, then with low pressure water wash it all out, ( in my case, I wasn't satisfied, so I did a 2nd spray and cleaning ) then let it dry ( I put it on a paper towel and sat it in the sun for about 3 hours ) once it's dry, use the oil. There is a recommended amount to use, but basically I just used a small amount going down each pleat until the whole thing turned red/orange, definitely do not over-oil it..... hope that helps!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:58 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

ok thanks alot guys. i just looked at the filter the other day and its visibly dirty. so ill be doing that sunday. hopfully ill have my 373s put in that day to. we shall see.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jokeurmnd

How often would you guys says it needs to be cleaned and re oiled???
I have a FRPP CAI (w/ Steeda intake elbow.) Anyway, I called the FRPP tech hotline, and I asked your same question. The guy said every 50,000 miles!!! The dirtier it gets, the better it filters, and DO NOT re-oil it. That he stressed, no oil. I was really surprised when I heard this, it just doesn't sound right. I'll clean it once a year, and I didn't oil it last year, but I think I should. I know where he's coming from with the oil, b/c some people will over do it, and foul the MAF, but I personally feel it should be done, however lightly.

As a side note, I asked him about the FRPP Handling Pack, if you need adjustable LCA's, UCA and adj panhard bar, he said no, that the kit doesn't lower the car enough to need them. Gee, I figure lowering 1.5" is pretty low, huh?? (And low enough to require a pinion angle adjustment)

I didn't have that warm and fuzzy feeling when I got off the phone, I was a little surprised, but what do I know...
Old 05-23-2008, 03:01 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I agree, people are doing more harm in cleaning them too soon. I do mine every 30,000 miles with no problems, depending on how dirty it is. It's something that can't be answered with a black and white answer. However I strongly disagree with Jim or rather who gave him that information, you need to re-oil the filter. The oil is what's going to trap the dirt instead of it being sucked into the motor. When you re oil it you have to be very careful in doing so. Don't over oil it. Don't get it on the rubber end. Don't get it on the MAF. Let the oil dry. Also don't oil it before it's completely dry.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:03 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

funny, i clean mine every 15,000miles but i drive my car on job sites every day so it sucks a little more dirt in than normal...always runs better after a good cleaning
Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

15,000 miles isn't too bad. I've heard of people doing it every oil change and that's a big problem. The filter element will start to break down and creates a possibility of the filter element being sucked into the motor.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I believe most of the CAI's use a S&B filter. They take a different approach to reoiling than the K&N's. They use a syringe and a measured amount of oil for different sized filters. You can look it up on the site www.sbfilters.com and also order a cleaning kit in red or blue. I just cleaned my filter that came with the wipple after 9,000 miles. It was probably not necessary yet, but I wanted to turn it blue. I dried mine with a heat gun on low for a few minutes, then let it sit on top of my heat pump for 30 minutes and the fan for the A/C did the rest. You use the syringe to put oil on the edge of each pleat and let it soak downward. I let mine sit upright overnight and had no oil run out of the filter.

Quick Reply: recharging intake filter