Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front bumper removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:18 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

Default front bumper removal

grrr. just got back from the dealer.. Fog lights do not work and original owner told me they have not since new so I figured warranty.. They said that the plug for the fogs behind the front bumper cover was unplugged and that it would cost me over 2 hours labor to remove the front bumper cover to plug it back in. They said it could not have been left unpluged from the factory.(like that never happens..:doh.. but it was and the prev owner never used the fogs so he did not have them even looked at by his dealer. Wonderful. How do I remove the front bumper cover? big job? Does anyone know where this 'plug' for the fogs they are talking about is? I assume the control module for the fogs is nestled behind the bumper cover. help!! Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 09:29 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: frong bumber removal

use the :how to's" section...i believe tacobill has a great write up on it...either way, it is quite easy to do. just make sure you pull back the covers under the front fender wells and remove those bolts too...hard to see at first but once you get those, it just slides right off.

If just the connector plugs are not on, you shouldnt have to remove the bumper, just take off the radiator cover and pop out the grille. You will have access to the fogs from there.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
SumterBoy
2nd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_1121391/tm.htm

this one is pretty good.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:42 AM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

2 hours!! OMG

20 min tops!!
6 screws (I think?)attaching lower radiator 'shroud' to the bumper cover (my wifes V6 doesn't have these)
6 phillups head screws (3 in each fender well)(fyi we have 255/35/20 front tires so I have to turn the tires full lock left and right to get to them with a regular phillups screwdriver)
410mm nuts (2 in front of each tire attaching the bumper cover to the fender)
2 10mm bolts (1 just inside each headlight under hood)
6 plastic darts securing plastic radiator cover

That's it! Pull each rear corner down from fender, lift bumper cover off tabs located inside each headlight, holding by the grill; pull itforward away from car. Notice there is a'slot' under each headlight that a tab on the bumper cover must slid into when reinstalling.

IF you had to fully remove the bumper cover and place it away from the car, you'll have to unplug6 lights (2fogs, 2 blinkers and2 marker lights)

Truely it is a 20 min job!

Tuesday, I installed 4 HID bulbs and ballasts and wires for both headlights and both fog lights on my wifes pony package V6. COMPLETEit tookjust over an hour. Your dealer is truely trying to dip into your pockets! (even IF it's the actual 'book' labor for changing out a fog light bulb!) At $85 per hour shop rateheck you could buy the tools if needed and do it yourselfin your driveway and still save money, LOTS of money!!

I'm NOT usually hard on dealers, but some simple things DOjust get under my skin!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks guys. it sure looks easy... BUT, they did not tell me what was unplugged and the service man had no clue. Is there another control module or relays or something that controls the fogs behind the bumper that they may be talking about? I serious doubt that they meant that the bulbs behind the lights were unplugged. If so its a 10 minute job to remove the top cover and grill and plug em back in?? no?? wtf.. I hate dealers.. anyone have a shop manual and check for me??? Id rather just plug in the bulbs and not have to remove the bumper cover if not necessary
Old 06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
05SDI
3rd Gear Member

On the GT the fog light wires tie into the rest of the lights wiring harness(head, marker, blinker) just to the inside and behindeach headlight but you can see it by opening hood.

There is two connections per fog light one@ the bulb one at the grill (about 6" away) the rest is wired in with other lighting connections further away from the lights in the wiring harness. One would have to think IF these others were actually unplugged you would have noticed other lights not working!!

Sorry to be dumbing this down BUT:
Just want to make sure it's not just the fuse?
Fog light bulbs are good?
Also that you know: The fog lights go off when thehigh beams come on.
Don't take offense at these,some times it's the simple things we overlook!

Is your car 100% stock? Never know WHAT the PO (previous owner) put his hands on!!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

yes I checked the fuse and the relay. Both were fine.. My car has never been apart. my guess is that the fogs were not plugged in new. Thats what the previous owner told me.. He did not care cause he never used the fogs. The never worked from the day he bought it..so he never bothered taking it to the dealer to get it fixed. The rest of the lights are fine.

mu guess is that the connections behind the grill(6" from the lights) are the ones not plugged together.. Thanks for all your help everyone

ORIGINAL: 05SDI

On the GT the fog light wires tie into the rest of the lights wiring harness(head, marker, blinker) just to the inside and behindeach headlight but you can see it by opening hood.

There is two connections per fog light one@ the bulb one at the grill (about 6" away) the rest is wired in with other lighting connections further away from the lights in the wiring harness. One would have to think IF these others were actually unplugged you would have noticed other lights not working!!

Sorry to be dumbing this down BUT:
Just want to make sure it's not just the fuse?
Fog light bulbs are good?
Also that you know: The fog lights go off when thehigh beams come on.
Don't take offense at these,some times it's the simple things we overlook!

Is your car 100% stock? Never know WHAT the PO (previous owner) put his hands on!!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:10 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

just follow the instructions on moss mustangs website to remove the stock grille to install the cdc grille. Takes about 10minutes to remove just the grille.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

thanks... but can ya send a link to it. I was on the Moss mustang site and I found the cdc billit grill.. but no install instructions..
Old 06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

PM sent....

Quick Reply: front bumper removal