Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:58 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default Headlight Covers

Has anyone used the headlight smoke out covers and had a problem with the corner popping out constantly? It actually raised up like an eyelid at one point and i had to pop it back in... Also on the freeway they seem to flutter a lot and makes the light from the headlights jitter around, is that normal or are they just really loose on my car for some reason? ( Reposted this here from the 4.6L handling section because I got no answers in 24 hours )
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
BlackoutStang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Headlight Covers

Do you have the GTS ones? (Says GTS, looks like GTO in the corner of the covers). If so, you aren't alone in the bad fit, it's a manufactuer defect. Both me and my friend have a pair, and both have 06 GT's, and they pop out in the same spot, always on the same side. I actually cracked mine a bit from attempting to force it in once.

Just gotta rough it out, and hope that by the time they snap, a company has made a pair that fit better.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:46 PM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

SAME HERE. I TOOK A PIECE OF TWO SIDED TAPE ABOUT 1 INCH LONG AND APPLIED
TO THE LOWER CORNER HAVENT HAD APROBLEM SINCE
Old 06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

I have a solution for this. I will make a good write-up one day.. but it is super easy to do.

Buy some strips of velcro, and cut two strips for each cover that has a fitment issue. My driver's side was the only one that had a problem.

The strips are about 4 x 2 cm.

I placed one strip in the innermost bottom corner and outermost bottom corner.

I put one side of the velcro tucked in at the edge of the light, and one on the edge of the cover. Did that for both locations mentioned above.

I carefully put the cover back on... and closed the hood.

I have never had a problem since, and have taken them off a few times.

I did this sometime in January, so it's been fine with all kinds of weather.

You can't see the velcro, and it had not scratched the paint.

Hope that helps.

ORIGINAL: xxDerek

Has anyone used the headlight smoke out covers and had a problem with the corner popping out constantly? It actually raised up like an eyelid at one point and i had to pop it back in... Also on the freeway they seem to flutter a lot and makes the light from the headlights jitter around, is that normal or are they just really loose on my car for some reason? ( Reposted this here from the 4.6L handling section because I got no answers in 24 hours )
Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Yea man that helps a lot, thanks! It's actually my drivers side as well, that bottom right corner if you're looking at the headlight. Sucks they can't fix simple stuff like that... Thanks for the help though!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 PM
nite
3rd Gear Member

cheap R&D = cheap product = not perfect. i would have bought them, as i like the blackout look, but i'dalready been subject to the crap that the gts puts out, so scratch that.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

What about the fluttering light thing on the freeway at night? Is that normal for everyone and should I just get used to it???
Old 06-06-2008, 10:39 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

I have a solution for this. I will make a good write-up one day.. but it is super easy to do.

Buy some strips of velcro, and cut two strips for each cover that has a fitment issue. My driver's side was the only one that had a problem.

The strips are about 4 x 2 cm.

I placed one strip in the innermost bottom corner and outermost bottom corner.

I put one side of the velcro tucked in at the edge of the light, and one on the edge of the cover. Did that for both locations mentioned above.

I carefully put the cover back on... and closed the hood.

I have never had a problem since, and have taken them off a few times.

I did this sometime in January, so it's been fine with all kinds of weather.

You can't see the velcro, and it had not scratched the paint.

Hope that helps.

ORIGINAL: xxDerek

x2.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:08 AM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

I would think that if you can tape or velcro the cover so that it is not popping loose on the corners it should stop the fluttering light situation.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:28 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

Yeah I actually have a pic of what I did.

Quick Reply: Headlight Covers