Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 02:18 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Default Gears

I wanted to ask about what I need to buy from a parts perspective for the 3.73 gears for the automatic 2005 mustang gt. I have seen a gear and pinion set and a couple of sites that just say gears. Also, which ones should I buy (Motive vs. Ford)? The back end is 8.8", right?

Best price anyone?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:22 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gears

you can go to RPMOutlet.com and pick up either 3.73's or 4.10's for $170 bucks and they are ford racing gears. if you are gonna put them on yourself, you need to buy the frictionless lube for it too since that will need replacing but you had better know what you are doing if you want to do it yourself. If not, i would highly recommend taking it to a performace shop and letting them do it.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

Believe me, I have no delusions of grandeur; I am not a mechanic. I enjoyed splicing in the seq. taillights and putting together the JLT CAI, but gears, umm, no thanks. I'll watch the performance shop do it.

I see Motive gears for $135 on Mustangtuning and the Ford Racing gears for $190. The ones on RPMOutlet are $170 and say gear set. Does this include everything I need to bring to the performance shop for the install from a parts perspective? Should I go Ford racing gears or does it really matter all that much?
Old 04-28-2005, 02:53 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i went with ford racing just b/c i KNOW that name. but as in most cases, maybe i just paid for the name. that does come with everything you need to have someone put it on. i would talk to the shop you have do it and have them put royal purple frictionless gear oil in.

enjoy, i know the gears made one hell of a difference for me
Old 04-28-2005, 03:57 PM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Dear GWFoos:

I am also thinking about the 3.73 gear combination for my automatic...

Let me know what you think about the performance change???

And if you have any problems with the automatic spooling up too fast throught the gears at WOT???

Thanks, D
Old 04-28-2005, 05:16 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: discofan

Dear GWFoos:

I am also thinking about the 3.73 gear combination for my automatic...

Let me know what you think about the performance change???

And if you have any problems with the automatic spooling up too fast throught the gears at WOT???

Thanks, D
I like my 4.10's with my Auto. I'll let you know how it does after I run it on the 29th. Make sure you buy quality gears not cheap gears. Cheap gears are more likely to make a humming noise or wine then quality gears. I'd go with the Motorsport gears.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:25 PM
dRiBz
2nd Gear Member

do you need a tune with gears?
Old 04-28-2005, 05:44 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dRiBz

do you need a tune with gears?
Not at all. In fact I would recomend gears as a first mod. You will not believe the difference a gear makes to the get up and go. I picked mine up after the dealer put in a new engine and all I had on mine at the time was the gears since I didn't want them blaming my parts for the problem. That thing hauled @ss.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:48 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

You should get a tune with new gears.

As for the gears for me, I am thinking that I might wait until I get the Saleen sc next year and have the labor done all at once. I cancelled my SHM UD pulley order today as I don't want to pay for it and in 1 year put on a sc that makes them obsolete. The CAI will be enough for me for now, but only because I know what's coming.

I have already added the 18" chrome wheels, Yokohama tires, tint, and sequencing taillights so the JLT CAI and dyno this weekend or next will be enough to hold me until the next bonus check or stock market bull run.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 AM
sybidoc

Just had 4.10's installed today on my 05 GT M 5. Rained all day so nothing definate yet but it sure seems a LOT more responsive. Used the Ford Racing 4.10's and they are pretty quite.

Quick Reply: Gears