Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I lost my key and key fob

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 PM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

Default I lost my key and key fob

So what is this going to cost me? I keep the Mustang key and remote on a ring by itself. What I think happened was Sunday night when I moved and parked my work van in the driveway I pulled my keys out of my pocket and the Mustang came out also and hit the ground. This was either in my driveway or on the street in front of my house. This happened around 11pm. At 7am when I was putting on my work pants I discovered that the Mustang keys were not in my pocket where they should be. I looked on the bathroom floor, then went outside and looked on the driveway and street. This has happed to me before and a neighbor returned them to me. [sm=oopssign.gif]Getting a new key from Ford is no big deal, but getting the locks changed is. [:'(]My Mustang says in the garage, so maybe someone is waiting for me to leave it out one night. [sm=badidea.gif]Or do they just reprogram it? The key that I lost would open the door, just not start the car as well as the remote would no longer open the doors and trunk. fd
Old 06-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: I lost my key and key fob

If you reprogram to a new key ,the old key will not start. But will still open the doors and trunk.

Should have gotten a 3rd set from ebay when you got the car!
Now vs 15-20 bucks its going to be 100+ bucks.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

After you reprogram the new key FOBS (you can still do that even if you only have one), the missing one should no longer work because it won't be present at the time of programming.

As for the key...uh, I dunno. You're probably going to have to pay out the nose for the dealership to fix that.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:33 AM
mustangdebt
1st Gear Member

Pretty sure the old FOB will still work. I found my old one randomly and decided to keep it as a spare. Programmed it at work while the 2nd one wasn't there. All three work.

But yeah, the key is going to cost you a pretty penny.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

As said above, the key will still be able to unlock the doors and trunk, but it won't be able to start the car. The key fob won't work at all. That is, once everything is reprogrammed. Perfect time for a Fusion key mod.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Reprogramming the new fob and existing fob you DIDNT loose
will unprogram the lost fob.
Reprogramming the new key and the key you DIDNT loose will
unprogram the lost key.
Shoulda got a third key from eBay when you still had the 2 original
keys and programmed it yourself. Now the stealership has to program
the new key because you dont have two working keys.
And changing the door lock, trunk lock and ignition will be expensive.
And require two new keys to be able to program them.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:51 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Keys themselves are $25 from the dealer. Programming is $45 for the first one, and each additonal one done at the same timeis free (or was at least at the dealer I did mine at). Can't say about the FOB's tho.

You can also order a key from a new Fusion, has the FOB and key together. I can say 100% that it does work, as thats the key I use every day on my car. If the dealership tries to tell you otherwise, tell them to look up the parts numbers on the remote entry systems, ignition cylindersand the PAT's systems for both the 2007 Fusion and the 2007 and up Mustangs.

Also, remember, unless you have two keys, the dealer has to program the keys. Fob's however only need one to program.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:51 PM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

Well I guess that a trip to the stealership is in order. [:'(]I am not getting the Mustang rekeyed, I do however want them to change the programming in the key and remote. That way if the moron who has my key tries to use the remote it will not open the car, and if he tries to use the key it will set of the alarm. Thanks for the advise dudes. fd
Old 06-13-2008, 03:05 AM
daveyb420
1st Gear Member

I saved a lot of money by buying 2 keys and 2 fobs from ebay. My stang only came with 1 of each. I went to a locksmith shop that had the stang key programmer.
Ebay, then locksmith, itll save you cash. The ebay keys I bought are even nicer than the original key I have.

Program your own fob, and extra key after the second.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 AM
NJBLK07GT
2nd Gear Member

Not trying to get off topic here but "What is the fusion key mod?" I have not herd this one before.

Quick Reply: I lost my key and key fob