Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams? Somebody chime in...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Default Cams? Somebody chime in...

I'm thinking about keeping the car n/a and not going with a s/c as I was planning on. I don't want to put $5 into the car for the kit and really don't need over 400 whp. I'll have too much tendency to be stupid if I have that much...problem I had with another car.

I want more power for when I'm accelerating and messing around on the highway alone...not street racing; but also something that will help with times when I go to the track.

QUESTIONS:

1) what type of cams are being used

2) where did you get them

3) how much do they cost

4) will I have to do any other work when installing [besides the tune]

5) about how much power would I be looking at

A big thanks to anybody who can answer those questions!
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Cams? Somebody chime in...

Well, I dont think that your gonna get cams for $5. I think they'll set you backabout$500-$700for the cams alone. You do have some choices, BBR, and Stage 3 to name a few.

You'll have to get acustom dyno tunefor that application. One thing to keep in mind is to stay away from re-grinded cams as they dont always come out right. I'd go with a mild cam with a 480 lift max. In terms of HP gains, your probably looking at 30-38 max.If you add heads then your looking at about 50hp gain with a custom dyno tune. One otherfactor is that they may not be legal in all states.Total with install, cams, and dyno tuning your looking at about$1500-2200hundred, depending on the shop.

Some of the benefits are that your car is going to sound awesome and its going to pull more into the high rpm ranges,and your gonna get some mild performance gains.When you put everything into perspectve your still spending about $20-27 per HP similair to that of aS/C.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:50 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: loots06

Well, I dont think that your gonna get cams for $5. I think they'll set you backabout$500-$700for the cams alone. You do have some choices, BBR, and Stage 3 to name a few.

You'll have to get acustom dyno tunefor that application. One thing to keep in mind is to stay away from re-grinded cams as they dont always come out right. I's go with a mild cam with a 480 lift max. In terms of HP gains, your probably looking at 30-38 max.If you add heads then your looking at about 50hp gain with a custom dyno tune. One otherfactor is that they may not be legal in all states.Total with install, cams, and dyno tuning your looking at about$1500-2200hundred, depending on the shop.

Some of the benefits are that your car is going to sound awesome and its going to pull more into the high rpm ranges,and your gonna get some mild performance gains.When you put everything into perspectve your still spending about $20-27 per HP similair to that of aS/C.

haha...sorry, that was suppposed to be $5K for the s/c

anyone else
Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

I have the BBR cams and they are regrinds and the ones that I recieved are crappy. You are gonna pay close to a grand just to buy the cams+springs and then expect to drop another 1500 for install and tune. They are good for highway but you lose power down low. If you get cams you won't get the full benefit until you get all the supporting mods...heads ported and polished, headers, delete plates. Contact a cam company and tell them exactly what mods you have and the route you are going and they will be your best source of info. Good luck

After install I was 311 rwhp with cams and CAI