Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst vs. MGW

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:15 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Hurst vs. MGW

The MGW is great with a very nice short throw but with stock like feel but never miss second or third on hard high RPM shifting (motor mounts and/ or torque limiters will help further). Like a very sharp knife thru butter! Very great shifter! cant say enough and I am sure others will chime in with the same!
ORIGINAL: GuitarGuyBMG

I have the Hurst shifter as of now. I installed it about a year ago. At first I liked the notchy feel of it, but now it's grown tiresome. Does the MGW have a smoother feel to it?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

I've noticed with my Hurst that sometimes I miss 2nd ....yes I said 2nd, and that to me is just crazy... I'm considering going another route, but I like the look of the Hurst... not to mention I've already badged the side "Hurst Equipped" (but we can replace that of course) Does the MGW utilized the stock **** and handle? I would like something similiar to the Hurst look...
Old 06-22-2008, 09:07 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

You can order the shifter to handel the stock **** as i did or pick up a retro ball at your local speed shop. I had th eolder hurst, swapped it out for the MGW, much better. Installed the Hurst in a buddys car yesterday, changed the tranny fluid and replaced it with Royal Purple "Syncromax" and the notchyness is gone and no more missing gears. I have never used syinthetcs in any car before "I am now a beleaver".
Old 06-22-2008, 10:32 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: Darkness7

I've noticed with my Hurst that sometimes I miss 2nd ....yes I said 2nd, and that to me is just crazy... I'm considering going another route, but I like the look of the Hurst... not to mention I've already badged the side "Hurst Equipped" (but we can replace that of course) Does the MGW utilized the stock **** and handle? I would like something similiar to the Hurst look...
Missing secong gear?[&:]

Sorry budd, it ain't the shifter.
Unless yours is defective...
Mine has been flawless.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 AM
CFLstangGT
2nd Gear Member

The Hurst has been good to me, not a chance on missing second, third is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Notchy yes, but i'm happy.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Missing secong gear?

Sorry budd, it ain't the shifter.
Unless yours is defective...
Mine has been flawless.
Trust me, its the shifter and its been installed correctly. More than a few buddies have driven it and said the same thing about second. I'm gonna try Royal Purple synchromax fluid and see if that solves it.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:02 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Darkness it sounds like it might be time for motor mounts or torque limiters which will help solve the missing second if this is happening at high RPMs. The motor is flexing and causing the second gear miss IMO....not the shifter. If it is not at high rpms than could be something else....maybe syncro's?
Old 06-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Why is it my car which is practically stock except for the CAI/Tune doesn't have this issue? I never miss 2nd. Even when going WOT from a dig.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

Darkness it sounds like it might be time for motor mounts or torque limiters which will help solve the missing second if this is happening at high RPMs. The motor is flexing and causing the second gear miss IMO....not the shifter. If it is not at high rpms than could be something else....maybe syncro's?
Hmm... I will have JPC in Glen Burnie check it out for me when I got get it dyno tuned with the juice... I doubt that it would be syncro's the car doesn't have very many miles on it at all and its a weekend driver... I haven't thorn the gears up that bad just yet.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Could still happen under load and the CHE K member brace and torque limiters is cheap assurance from the motor flexing and thats what it sounds like. Easier install than motor mounts and should help eliminate or reduce the flex and hopefully the missed second shifts.