Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealership experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default My dealership experience

Long story just want to share my experience. Mostly negative (surprise!).

Took my car in for a windshield. Insurance paying for it. So they put in a new windshield, $423 of which I paid a $50 deductible.

That evening I notice when driving into direct light there are two scratches right in the middle of this new windshield. One is 3" long the other is about half that and they are roughly parallel. So I take it back and they put another windshield in. They eat the cost on the first one.

The tech who put the second one in slipped a tool and scratched the car up top. The scratches are about 2" long, deep (down to primer), and are parallel with the edge of the windshield. Disgusted I wash my hands of the whole thing and decide to not do anything else about this. What else is gonna break when I take it back right?

So I had it in for an oil change a few weeks later and mention the wheel liner on the passenger front side is loose and moving around. Also, insulation is getting pushed out along some trim in the upper part of the driver's side door. They say it must go to body shop for this stuff. So I decide to mention the scratches.

They are nice enough about it and decide to fix the scratches along with the other stuff. They put the liner back in and it's fixed. Sorta. It doesn't move laterally any more but it still seems kinda loose to me. My friend's 07 isn't like that and the liner on the other side of my car isn't loose. But whatever at least it isn't as bad as before. They ended up filling in and wet sanding the scratches on the roof and it's OK now - except that apparently I'm going to have to polish it myself since the surface is still glazed from the buffing procedure he did on it. Nice, nothing like a complete job eh? Anyhow the trim piece in the door. It still has insulation sticking out on it and it almost seems like they didn't do anything at all to fix this.

What in the hell? Can't you just take your car in, have work done on it, and leave without any problems? Seriously what is the ****ing problem here? [&:]

They have been very courteous the whole time. No complaints there. Nice people. But the work they did at the body shop has been pretty crappy.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Back N Black
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My dealership experience

I see you're from Montana...but you didn't happen to bring your car to Park Cities Ford in Dallas did you? Seems the same idiots run both places.[:@]
Old 06-19-2008, 03:34 PM
06roushv6
2nd Gear Member

at least they are nice people, but you would think that they could handle some of the simplest taks in he world! .....but i guess not....
Old 06-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

It was Archie Cochrane Ford in Billings MT.

Nice people. Just can't seem to get it right with the car no matter how many times I try.

Next up? Laurel Ford. 20 minute drive down the road. They don't have their own body shop but contract the work out. Oh well. Guess I'll wait until I have about 3 months left of bumper-bumper coverage and take the car in there.

How much worse can it get? Oh wait. Shouldn't have said that.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:44 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

The insulation you are referring to, is it coming out from between the window trim and the body?

That's what I have happening to mine, like it's getting pushed out from air pressure or water pressure maybe. Anyway, I used a plastic blade type thing for applying vinyl stripes to push it back into the groove.

I told them about it at the dealers body shop, they said that's all they would do.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah that sounds ilke the stuff. A black material, almost like shoe lace. Poking out from the seam. My girl came up with a similar idea of using a flat ruler or screwdriver to push it back in. Guess I'll give it a try. Thanks for the idea.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:56 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

That door trim "insulation" you are refering to is a bodysealer item.
If its out of place, it needs to be properly replaced and not just pushed
back into place. Its a known source of water intrusion into the cabin.
Mine was like that and it has to all be taken apart to be replaced properly.
Its between the black plastic trim around the top of the window glass
and the body. The workshop manual shows what it does and how to properly
replace it.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=428
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
waykooljr
3rd Gear Member

I haven't had any water leakage problems from it but that's good to know, Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Same here no leaks as of yet. But +1 good to know about it. Will keep an eye and if it starts leaking take it to the other dealer ASAP. Even if it doesn't I'll have it looked at before my warranty is up.