Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:27 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First Oil Change Question

hand tighten only. Never an issue..

ORIGINAL: Mudflap

I always use K&N filters because they have the 1" nut on the end that makes removing them a breeze... My factory one was a beyatch to remove.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:54 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: topbliss

always prefill the filter. Why not?? Its easy to do and you get oil pressure instantly.. Theres no reason not to

I can think of a reason. The filter mounts sideways.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:54 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

sidweways? Not my 07 GT.. Maybe a 30 degree off of verticle on my car.. How about yours?
besides.. My other car is 100% horizonal and I can fill the filter and not spill a drop. It gets absorded into the filter media as you turn it horizonal.

try again??

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

always prefill the filter. Why not?? Its easy to do and you get oil pressure instantly.. Theres no reason not to

Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: illin

Yeah it is amazing how many people are convinced of this new 3000 mile oil change interval. Seems that none of us ever followed 3K miles until the instant lube palces starting spreading the word...

Our own manuals recommend 7500 for dino. And I am comfortable on that schedule (although I always change at 500-1000 miles on a brand new car). I have run synthetic for a few years and would run 10-12k on it. Oil analysis still proves it is very capable of protecting the motor. My concern at 12k is the filter.

We seem to do everything to excess...so to each his own. Europeans arguably push their cars VERY hard and 7-10k is normal on dino and 15-20k on synthetic is the norm. They seem to get by just fine.

Then again, my old man's Mustangs never see 1k on an oil change...go figure.

I kinda have to agree. My dad's BMW Z4 gets 1 oil change a year - every 15k mi. That's direct from the manufacturer, and they put full synthetic in the motor. Now, I WILL say that the 3k rule IS steadfast for SOME cars. My old Saturn required an oil change every 3k. It actually ran better when there was fresh oil in it. My mom's Corolla runs better when it has its oil changes at 3.5k. I believe that the little 4 bangers really should have it done more often.

With my Mustang, though, I'll stick with 5k on synthetic.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

huh??? Where did you come up with this?? The 3000 mile oil change has been around for 50 years.. Its not 'new' in the last 15 years since quick oil change places have been around..

Yeah it is amazing how many people are convinced of this new 3000 mile oil change interval. Seems that none of us ever followed 3K miles until the instant lube palces starting spreading the word...

Old 07-02-2008, 10:00 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

sidweways? Not my 07 GT.. Maybe a 30 degree off of verticle on my car.. How about yours?
besides.. My other car is 100% horizonal and I can fill the filter and not spill a drop. It gets absorded into the filter media as you turn it horizonal.

try again??

Yea, it is at an angle and most of the oil you put in would spill out and make a mess.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

huh??? Where did you come up with this?? The 3000 mile oil change has been around for 50 years.. Its not 'new' in the last 15 years since quick oil change places have been around..

Probably new because back then, most folks didn't stay with any sort of frequency in chages. Then when they started the add compains with the 3 months-3000 mile, it became popular. That and everything got higher priced almost overnight and the concervative side of people kicked in. Most folks are consevative Republicans down deep whether they admit it or not.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:01 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

honest. No BS. You can fill it to the top and not a drip will spill. Like I already said that I fill up the filter on my everyday car and install and its mounted sideways.. REALLY sideways.. not like the Mustang.. and I have not lost a drip in 6 years..

Yea, it is at an angle and most of the oil you put in would spill out and make a mess.
[/quote]
Old 07-05-2008, 12:41 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Sorry, I am ignorant to the V8 GT motor.
Not on the 07 V6. It mounts vertcally.
I guess us sixers have an advantage over the V8s in that department.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:49 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: Giddyup go

always prefill the filter. Why not?? Its easy to do and you get oil pressure instantly.. There's no reason not to

Sorry, I am ignorant to the V8 GT motor.
Not on the 07 V6. It mounts vertically.
I guess us sixers have an advantage over the V8s in that department.

It's more of an inconvenience. I had a Ranger with your engine. I prefilled it. I guess a guy could pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it over for a few seconds if he were really worried about it. My Jeep diesel mounts horizontally.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change Question