Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Violators-input on drone

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:00 PM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

Default Pypes Violators-input on drone

I like these mufflers alot from videos I've watched. I've never been around cars much with modified exhausts so I don't know my opinion on drone. Do these drone much compared to stock? One analogy I thought of is that I have a Ranger 4x4 with well worn BFGoodrich All Terrains. The whine of those gets too me after awhile. I have FRPP GTAs now and want something more aggressive. Any input on the Violators drone will be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:18 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes Violators-input on drone

mine drone at about 1800rpm-2400rpm, but it's fairly low-key. I do plan on changing them out soon though, as they are already showing signs of rust around the welds. gonna pony up (pardon the pun), and get something stainless.

but i do love the sound
Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

I have been very pleased with my Violators. They only have an annoying drone when ALL the following are happening at once:
1) 1800-2200 rpm, 2)windows closed, and 3) a particular throttle input (low-ish). Otherwise, no drone. I've gotten a lot of compliments about them. I liked the tone of the stock mufflers a lot but simply could not hear them.

Interestingly enough, installing 4.10s changed the throttle position/rpm combinations so that the drone is now practically gone.

Sleeper2

Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have the polished stainless Violators. Agree they have a slight drone at 1800 ~2200 (for me) when the engine is under load (lugging it). For a 5 spd this isn't an issue at all because you are seldom at that rpm when lugging the motor. For an auto it may be a problem (I see the OP is a manual...just giving the info for anyone else who is interested).

At idle they are almost as quite as stock. During acceleration or on the highway for the first 8 months or so they were plently loud for me but you could easily talk over them. Now, with a little more wear, they are fully 'broke in' and quite loud. We need to raise our voices a bit, even with the windows closed, to hear each other. Its not bad but something to be aware of.

I love the sound (with the stock H pipe). Its a deep rumble with the typical 'burble' when coasting (foot off the accelerator). Standing behind the car, when someone takes off, the sound is very cool.

Now the bad - I run the car on road tracks. The heat generated by 30 min sessions of constant 4-6K accelerations is incredible. This has completely darkened the mufflers. What were once shiny and chrome like mufflers are now a coppery patina, its not horrible but no where near as nice looking as when new. Under day-to-day driving I don't know if this will happen but they will rust a little bit (can be cleaned up with steel wool). For the low price I still like them. However, if looks were really important to me I'd get something else with a better stainless quality.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:50 PM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

agreed with everything Argonaut said. I love them to death, but the rust coloring around the welds really bothers me for some reason. it was a great purchase for my first exhaust though. on to bigger and more expensive things now
Old 07-29-2008, 02:53 PM
dr350rider
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input so far. If we have to talk louder on the highway they may not be the set up for me. Some say the mid muffler system doesn't drone much.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:51 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I didn't experience any noticeable drone with them. Maybe a tiny bit around 1800 or so, but nothing to speak of. With the off road pipe, they had zero drone. They're fantastic sounding mufflers, considering the price.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

I like them enough but they are quiet.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 AM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

I have the Pypes Violatores with Pypes o/r X pipe

Here are a few videos I took

I really like the sound. Overall I'm happy.

http://youtube.com/user/stud8723
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 AM
bg_lee
1st Gear Member

+1 on everybody...overall I like them too...I don't have to raise my voice to talk tho...they were kinda tin-e sounding when I 1st put on...they mellow out tho...I have a bout 5,000 miles on them now...not the absolute best setup I have ever heard but great for the money...I get lots of compliments

Quick Reply: Pypes Violators-input on drone