Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:09 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Default Engine differences

Could someone please explain the major differences between the following:

1. The New Edge Mustang GT engine and the S197 Mustang GT engine

and

2. The Terminator engine and the GT500 engine (also what is different about the superchargers)

Thanks.

The reason I'd like this information, aside from just general increase in knowledge, is that people always claim that the reason a New Edge sounds so much better than an S197 is the difference in number of valves. They also say that 2v and 4v sound good, but 3v sound not-so-good. BUT....isn't a Termi a 4v and isn't a GT500 a 4v? The GT500's sound just as bad as the S197 GT, so it can't be just a valve thing. WHAT IS DIFFERENT?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine differences

Probably, the main reason for the sound difference is where the mufflers are between the two cars. Honestly, I dont see how the # of valve is going to change the sound that much. Doesnt one fart can Honda sound just like any other fart can Honda with or without VTEC, 2V 1.5 or1.6 4V?
Previous gen Mustangs had the mufflers in front of the axle with all that pipe after it. S197 have the muffler with only a tip sticking out. Length and diameter of tubing will change the tone of exhaust.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:48 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I agree with the opinion that having a good amount of tailpipe will give a richer note and maybe cut down on rasp, but has anyone verified this? Maybe hook some pipe extensions to their tail pipes and see if it sounds differently.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:17 PM
RoushGT05
1st Gear Member

I agree with the above thats been stated but as far as the engines, we as you know have 4.6 3v, 99-04 GT 4.6 2v, 03-04 Cobras 4.6 4v, GT500 5.4 4v, and all non s/c'ed cobras and Mach 1's have the 4.6 4v.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

One of the reasons for the different exhaust sound is the 3V design. Instead of having an even amount of intake and exhaust valves, it has an odd number (2 in, 1 out I believe), so that drastically changes the sound. The location of the mufflers is also a culprit. I bet if you put a Pypes MMS system on a GT500, it'd sound a lot like a Termi.

The head and cam design on the Termi and GT500 engines are different. The blocks are different as well, but I think they're probably pretty similar. I'm not well versed in all the engine stuff, so I couldn't tell you exactly what the differences are.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
blackice05
1st Gear Member

i agree its muffler placement. The mid muffler system has always been called the closest to the previous gen mustang than any other setup. But the valving plays its part too
Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

First off:

SN95 v8 has a 2 valve engine, these engines sound GREAT.
SN95 Termenator had a 4 valve supercharged engine

S197 v8 has a 3 valve engine and being a 3 valve it's faster than the 2 but produces a terrible sound
S197 GT500 has a 4 valve but has an abysmally TERRIBLE sounding supercharger.

It's all relavtive though.

Here's a video that proves the gT500 point tough. I'm sure you've heard the shelby exhaust, and the gT500 supe snake has the same mufflers, but with a mcuh better sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqw6e...eature=related

The difference is ridiculous really. It's like night and day. 4v really does sound better.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

GT500 has an Xpipe I believe while the supersnake has an H pipe.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:02 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

What about muffler deletes or SLP LM? Since there is no muffler, shouldn't that sound the closest? But it doesn't. SLP LM don't sound good at all on our cars, but on the New Edge.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-oHG...eature=related

Or muffler delete.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7d8H...eature=related

Both sound really really good.

I'm just kind of disgusted with our sound options. I like the way my setup sounds, but then again, it just doesn't sound like a Mustang should.

I hear something like this and it just eats me up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BDEHqlYxw
Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

LM will be raspier than any "muffler" there is for our cars, the muffler gives it the deepness that most desire. As stated the location of the muffler is your biggest problem. That is the reason the pypes system is mentioned when these comparisions are made. The valves and just being a different engine also make up some of the reason. Good luck trying to match the sound....that is what 50% of he people on here would like to do

Quick Reply: Engine differences