Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VHT niteshade

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:37 PM
superslow
2nd Gear Member

Default VHT niteshade

I mam trying to find the VHT nite shade post where it shows you exactly what to do in full detail but i cannot get the search option to find ANYTHING. Anyone remember this post?
Old 08-09-2008, 05:53 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

Default RE: VHT niteshade

Remove the 3, 10mm nuts holding the tail lights

Remove the lights by twisting them out of the socket.

Clean the light using soapy water and make sure not too the lense after you have cleaned it. And to work in a dust free enviroment for best results.

If you plan on keeping the reverse lights clear you are going to have to tape them off. The easiest way is to use 4 pieces of tape getting each straight edge taped off and then several small pieces around each corner of the clear lense part. You will notice what I am talking about when you look at the light. The clear part of the lense is rounded corners. Taking your time here will pay off in the end.

Make sure to tape off the entire housing around the lense as not to get paint on it.

Clean the lense again with soapy water, wax and grease remover, or laquer.

You are going to have to do 3 good coats, When you spray make sure you overlap 50% on each pass. Concentrating on spraying correctly with proper overlap and smooth wet look during painting will ensure quality.

Wait about 5 minutes between coats depending on climate.

After you finish those 3 coats you are going to want to use a clear laquer spray. This acts a clear coat. Generally found at any hardware store that sells spray paint.

Before spraying the light with laquer remove the tape from the clear reverse light section, this will ensure that their is no lip/edge of paint around the area. Do not touch the lense at all when removing the tape, the paint should still be tacky. Remember the lense should of only been sitting for a few minutes before you spray on the clear.

Apply the clear just like VHT, about 5 minutes apart and take your time as not to get runs. It makes it easier when the lights are on the ground flat to prevent that from happening.

Now you should have 3 coats VHT, 2-3 Coats of Clear. If you don't spray correctly you will come out with a dull finish. And its somewhat difficult to not get runs but not come out dull. That's okay though dont get frustrated, find any paint supply store that has laquer, it will whipe the paint right off no matter how long its been on their.

Let the lights dry for about ~24 hours, or over night. You are going to want to WETsand with 2000, then 2500, then 3000. Make sure you do not sand to hard on the edges or corners. You just want to get a nice smooth finish all the way across the lense and make it al look the same.

You will notice that the light appears dull now that is okay.

What you will want to do now is grab a terry cloth or microfiber towel and some rubbing compound. I use 3m rubbing compound because that's all they had at the store when i went to buy it.

After the rubbing compound i hit it up with a little bit of wax, anything will work.

The entire process is good for about 2-4 hours of time but it's not that much work you just have to think about what you are doing so you don't end up repeating the process several times. But like I said laquer will take it right off so not too worry.

There's alternate ways to apply VHT, theirs other steps I could add in but I think this is the most fool proof way to get a good end product in the least amount of time.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM
superslow
2nd Gear Member

AWESOME!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Old 08-10-2008, 07:28 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

No problem just remember it can always be fixed if its not right the first time.