Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound Deadener

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default Sound Deadener

I installed some RAAMmat BXT sound deadener in my 08 GT last weekend and I wanted to tell everyone how pleased I am. First I pulled off both door panels and insulated the whole inside of the door with one layer and triple layers behind each of the speakers. Then I added a layer across the bottom of the rear speaker deck. Then I took the carpet, spare tire, ect out of the trunk and insulated most of the trunk. The windnoise has been slightly reduced, but the biggest difference is in the speakers. I have the Shaker 500 system and it always sounded kind of hollow. Now the system sounds awesome and the bass is rediculous. Everyone considering adding subs to your car should add this deadener to your doors first because it makes the system sound 10 times better! I'm thinking that most of the windnoise comes from the rear wheel wells, so I plan on taking the rear seats out and deadening all around the wheel wells in the rear when I get some time.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Sound Deadener

Congrats! I did my doors and trunk. I would love to do the rear deck but heard it was a PITA to take apart.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:24 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

I bought 50 sq ft of fatmat to do my trunk and if all goes well then I'll try insulating more area of the car. I have the shaker 500 and thought it kind of sounded hollow too so I will probably to the doors.

2 Questions.

1. How do I know where I need to put one layer or multiple layers?

2. OP, I know you did not do your trunk but hopefully others who have will read this. Do I insulate the whole trunk lid and let the seal, seal against the insulation or do I insulate just the inside area on the lid up to where the lid and the seal meet?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

When I said I did therear deck, I didnt do the top of it, I only did the bottom. I just layed on my back in the trunk and put it all around the bottom of the deck where you can see the bottom of the rear speakers sticking down. I bought two rolls which have about 60 square feet a piece on them and with one roll, I coated both doors thoroughly, the decklid, and the entire floor of the trunk. 50 square feet doesnt seem like much, but it will go a very long way. I just used extra layers right behind the speakers in the door and then under the spare tire in the trunk. Just use your knuckle to knock on the metal and you can tell if you should need a second layer by the pitch of the sound. For insulating the trunk itself, I would just stick some of it inside the two holes so that it is all touching the piece of metal which is closest to the outside of the car. If you need more, then go back and add it to the part you can see. I'm by far no expert, but that is just what I would do.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:39 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

how come you didnt use dynomat and how much was the stuff you used and i would love to see pics
Old 08-10-2008, 05:49 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

I used second skin audio's damplifier. I'm pretty sure they are all pretty much the same thing. I know the stuff I got was WAY cheaper than dynomat, and it did a great job.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

im curious about prices too
Old 08-10-2008, 05:59 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I bought two rolls of deadener which are 62.5 square feet a piece. After shipping, it came to around $260. If you only want to do your doors and your trunk, one roll will be fine, but I wanted to make sure I wasnt going to run out. Here is the website if you want to order from them. http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?p=pr
Old 08-10-2008, 08:22 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

cool, thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

No problem. I've got my rear seats sitting in my apartment right now, so I will deaden my rear of my car tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadener