Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time do-it yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 AM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Default First time do-it yourself?

I'm pretty good at following instructions, building things, and like to think of myself as "good with my hands" working. I've only put on sequential tailights by myself because I am lacking the tools to do most any install. I'm getting a floor jack, jackstands, torque wrench, and some other various tools. Me and my dad are looking to find some projects for us to work on together and I was thinking maybe the suspension would be a good place to start? Plan on putting on FRPP springs, Tokico D-Spec Adj. Struts/Shocks, Adj. Panhard Bar, and Rear Sway Bar. Don't plan to try and rush the install as it would be a lot of fun with him and if we need anything there is a performance shop 15 minutes away and I have some friends that are only do-it-yourselfers. What do you think? Tackle it myself with dad, or let a shop do it? I do however plan on letting a shop do my cast/camber adjustments, but we'd adjust the UCA...
Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 AM
urnamethere
2nd Gear Member

we have the same hood!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 AM
nm3
4th Gear Member

Go for it. It's not that difficult. Proper tools and lift equipment is a must. Also, make sure you get an install write-up and follow it pretty closely. You'll be fine........
Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

you may want to let a shop put on your springs. i believe a spring compressor is a must for installing them. the rest is pretty much a do it yourself-er. just make sure you follow write-ups for any issues you may encounter. it will make them much easier to overcome if you know what to expect in advance...

god bless taco bill
Old 08-13-2008, 08:31 AM
nm3
4th Gear Member

I was able to install my springs on the struts with a spring compressor i got at Harbor Freight. It worked fine and was inexpensive.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I've found spring compressors online at sears.com, but looked at tacobill's write up and the spring compressor he used isn't anything like the ones I saw online. Where did you get your spring compressors? Hmmm if I can get a spring compressor I could defidently do the suspension on my jeep too Do you think that I could get someone to put the springs on my Tokico's for me and then I could just go ahead and bolt up the tokico's and springs? Just don't want to buy a part that might be a couple hundred dollars and not really ever use it again...
Old 08-13-2008, 08:47 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I know a lot of times you can rent tools at O'Reillys or Advanced Auto for a deposit fee and then once you bring the tool back they refund your entire deposit. I am sure they would carry a spring compressor that they loan out.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:54 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I rented my spring compressor from AutoZone. Installation of everything that you've mentioned is pretty easy with the proper tools. Go for it.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 AM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys I'm really pumped about doin this! Just have to buy the parts lol and hope dad goes along with this because he's kind of worried about doing anything to the car himself...whereas I'm like let's do it!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Do it with your dad ... everything that you mentioned is easy, just make sure you got the tools for it

Quick Reply: First time do-it yourself?