Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am PISSED, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default I am PISSED, need suggestions

This is soooo frustrating.

It was a somewhat windy day. I was stopping by for some groceries after work and I parked near the end of the parking lot, which is slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY downhill. I'd really not noticed it until today even. Anyway, I park in here all the time... all the time and never have any problems. As soon as I parked, I see a shopping cart coming at me full speed towards the passenger side of my car. My mind races... do I reverse really quickly?(there was a car parked in front of me), do I run around the car to try and stop it? Do I jump to the passenger side and open the door to block it? No. I knew instantly what was inevitable... the damn shopping cart was coming way too fast for me to do anything about it. I began yelling 'No, no!' And then suddenly one of the nastiest banging sounds I've ever heard. The damn cart hit my passenger side door good and hard. Needless to say, I was freaking pissed like non other. In my anger, I pushed the cart to the ground and then went to have a convo with the manager of "Party America." Only a moment later, a black Infiniti pulled out nearby and took off... I assume this may have been the car that left the cart since no one else was there. But I cannot be certain.

So Party America (owned by Party City) have absolutely no cart return bins and they obviously had no one picking them up from the parking lot. From the get-go the manager was unfriendly. I asked for a manager when I got there, not knowing it was him, and he simply nodded. I waited a moment before he said he was the manager. I asked what their policy was about shopping carts in the parking lot (they have no signs posted that say they are not responisble for cart damage to vehicles). He asked why I asked, and I told him. Since things didn't seem to start off that well, it turned into a back-and-forth with him doing most of the talking and being a major a-hole. He even raised his voice at me. Basically he said they do get the carts every so often and that people always take the carts outside. I asked for his corporate number and called, but I assume they were East Coast and closed since I couldn't get ahold of anyone. I also spoke with the cart collector of the nearby grocery store... Trader Joes, and was told that the people at Party America never go for their carts, and in fact, the cart that hit my car was collected by a Trader Joes employee. I did attempt to make a police report, but they wouldn't take it since it wasn't a traffic accident.... at least that's what they told me. No other cars were involved. But I can bet that had I hit say something Party America owned and they called it in they would have been on the spot.

In any case, here's the damage that was done. The cart impacted right below the door handle under the part that's stuck onto the car. These pics don't do the damage justice (well, if you can call car damage justice), since the details aren't easy to see here. I guess considering how hard the cart hit things could have been a lot worse, but still... when these type of things happen out of the blue to my precious car, well, you know how it feels. The entire damage is about an inch and a half to two inches... there's a scratch about an inch and a half and the dent itself is probably about the size of a nickel.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to go about getting this repaired? I'm assuming car shops can do it... I just don't want such a senseless even to cost me too much. My boyfriend said he'd check around with his buddies and see what they thought, but I thought I'd ask you all... especially if you're in SoCal and know of a place that does good work at a decent price. As it stands, I'll probably put any future mods on hold and get all of my car's anamolies fixed in one fell swoop once the money is available. I don't want to even consider my insurance since the deductible is $500.

Thank you.

Last edited by VictoriaRR; 08-22-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

A reputable body shop in SoCal should be able to take that out no problem. It doesn't appear creased and that a good thing. The scratch as long as it has not gone all the way thru the clearcoat and basecoat can be buffed out no worries on that part. I understand your pain and PM Stangskeleton and Caution here on the forums as they have many contacts for great paint and body shops and they are in the SoCal area (if anything in CA).
Mellowyellow06 is in L.A. and has had alot of paint and body work done that looks great as well. I hope your situation gets taken care of to your liking and ASAP so you don't have to worry about the car. I hate when no one wants to take responsibility for anything even the police. Sure no one was hurt but what do we pay all the taxes for? I mean you are funding their salaries and pension funds..... let us know how it turns out. J
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 PM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

My daughter opened the door too hard one time and door dinged my GT. Man I was mad but you know what it's just a car it can be fixed but I left the ding to remind me to just let it go.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:14 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Hey Victoria RR,
I'm here in Florida (I know a world away). I had the same thing happen to me and thought all was lost especially since there was no paint damage and the dent was on a body crease. I thought I would get hit for a large bill for thebdent removal plus paint.
That does not have to be the case. There are guys out here who are mobile dent removers and will come to you using specialty tools specific for removing dents. They do this by accessing the dent from a un-noticable area, mostlikely in your case they would drill a small hole in the door at the side entry then use the tools to massage the dent out without damaging the paint and then pluging the hole. My dent removal guy charged me $50.00 and it was well worth it. Only took 35 min.
Check with a used car salesman since that is where most of the dent guys do thier work or if you know a good body shop, if they can't do it then maybe they will refer you. Good Luck !
Old 08-22-2008, 08:32 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

+ 1 on the PDR (Paintless Dent Removal), they can make it look like new for very little $$$ Just make sure who ever you get has GOOD references and ask to see some of their work. PDR is a skill that requires real craftsmanship and not some schmuck that just bought the tools and instruction manual on the internet.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I'd find someone who does PDR first.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Angry

you would of seen me, jumping out fast to get on that.

I wouldnt even drive the car with that on there.

Two things happen when you take your stang out in public.

1. You get a ticket.

2. You get a ding.

I also hate when folks cant walk a cart to the bin, they think it will rest on top of a dam hill,as if it has emergency brakes.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

Uugghhh.. Sorry about that happen.. When i go to Wally World, i park in the employee area, BFE!! Anyone thats with me always complain about the walk.. Usually i try my best to collect the carts that are 5 parking spots around me.. I know, thats little to far but crap far, thats alot of money setting in a parking lot.. I put it in the buggy return and go about my day.. People are so lazy.. Just set in a parking lot for a 15 mins and watch people.. You'll wonder why you even park there..lol.. I hope your pain gets taking care of and it don't hit the $$$ hard.. Good luck and let us know what happens..
Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 PM
RobertJ
2nd Gear Member

+100000 for PDR. They'll get rid of that for less than $40 probably. I know everything in Calif is higher, but it should still be pretty reasonable.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:39 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Looks like an easy fix for PDR .... Good luck ....

Quick Reply: I am PISSED, need suggestions