Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:21 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Default Car won't start

The last few times I have drove the car it just grind before startup. Now thats all it will do. Doesn't even start to crank over. Is it the starter? The selenoid? How should i start on fixing this?
Old 08-31-2008, 08:42 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Is it a grinding noise for sure? When the batt is low and not enough to crank it makes a funny fast clicking noise that some might take as a grind. If it is grinding it could be the starter or the flywheel.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:38 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Yes its a grind. I got the car to start using the fred flinstone way. I push started it just to see if I could get some more info. What would the flywheel have to do with starting the car? I had to have it remachined and a new clutch put in this summer.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

To my knowledge, which has alot left to be desired, the starter armature turns the flywheel, which starts the car.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

definetely going to have to look into that. had alot machined off the flywheel.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:36 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

A grinding noise during cranking is a sign of bad gear mesh between the flywheel ring gear and the starter pinion. That's kinda weird though because these starters are pre-engaged [I believe].
Having the flywheel skimmed is one thing, but I didn't think they skimmed the ring gear as well, that would be a bit silly IMO.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:45 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Believe it or not, this could still be a battery related problem. Always rule out the simple things first. If you are like most mustang owners and do not drive your car daily (especially if you have the factory battery) you may not be getting enough cranking amps through to the starter. It is possible to have 12volts but not enough cranking amps. This would put a strain on the starter trying to turn the flywheel which could give a grinding effect. Also if yu were ab le to push start and had no grinding or less grinding then more than likely it is the battery. Good Luck!
Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 PM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

I noticed while I had it running that everytime I would give it gas I would get the exact same grind noise as when I would try and start it. Here is my abbr mod list
cai, tune, clutch, remachined flywheel, udp's, exhaust, yellow top battery. Its not a daily driver.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM
max427
2nd Gear Member

Wait did your problem start immediately after clutch n flywheel install? iirc on a GT flywheel the teeth are offset towards the engine, so technically it could have been installed backwards causing the teeth to be much further back. or vis-versa. That or, since the starter was removed maybe they either didn't tighten it all the way, leaving a gap between flywheel and starter or maybe cross threaded a bolt and couldn't tighten it all the way.

Do you notice any strange pulsation or chatter when coming from a stop easing off clutch into first gear? if so maybe the flywheel is installed improperly. A dealer with diagnose it for you if you'd like.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:44 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

Well no but I don't drive the the car very often. It ran and started fine. It started to grind a bit a few weeks ago. Just got worse over time till it didn't work anymore.

Quick Reply: Car won't start