Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have Pypes mid-mufflers, want it louder

Old 09-02-2008, 08:56 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Default Have Pypes mid-mufflers, want it louder

Recently I installed the Pypes mid-muffler system. The fit and install was challenging, but the nice sound is worth it.

But now I want it louder. I do not want to add crackles and pops, but just same tone louder. I'm wondering for anyone who has the MM system, what do you have that makes it louder, but still good sounding?

Few options I am considering:

Remove the mufflers (replace with straight section of exhaust pipe)
Off-road H pipe (cat delete)
X pipe (to replace H pipe)\
LT header (but I don't like this option very much, $$ and lengthy install)

I'm hoping to hear from people who actually run the setups with MM but louder.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 AM
NewmanGT
1st Gear Member

I also have the pypes mid muffler system, I agree that the sound is one of the best for the 05+ mustangs. However that’s just my opinion, from the clips ive heard: stingers, boomtubes, mac's, all sound good.

anyways back on track, to get yours louder you can add an O/R H or X pipe, both would make your significantly louder, and wouldn’t cost that much. To give you an idea,

http://site.brenspeed.com/info/media/pypesmid.wmv

1/2 way through they add an off-road H pipe, do some searches on you-tube. Personally I dont want my car much louder as it would get un-wanted attention.

edit - spelling
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I have the muffler delete with an 18" X 4" tip added. It will pop a bit if you rev it when it is cold. Once up to operating temp, it is great. The rest of the system is stock. It was an $80.00 conversion and is loud....
Old 09-02-2008, 10:03 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pnut
Recently I installed the Pypes mid-muffler system. The fit and install was challenging, but the nice sound is worth it.

But now I want it louder. I do not want to add crackles and pops, but just same tone louder. I'm wondering for anyone who has the MM system, what do you have that makes it louder, but still good sounding?

Few options I am considering:

Remove the mufflers (replace with straight section of exhaust pipe)
Off-road H pipe (cat delete)
X pipe (to replace H pipe)\
LT header (but I don't like this option very much, $$ and lengthy install)

I'm hoping to hear from people who actually run the setups with MM but louder.
Ok check this out....i'm on my 5th exhaust system for my 06. I tryed for a long time to get that unmistakeable sound of the 2v and 4v cars. I tried flowmasters, then pypes violators. THen i added an o/r xpipe with the violators. No luck. Then it dawned on me.....these cars don't have tailpipes......the muffler is all the way at the back of the car. So i took the violators off and welded on some 15"x3" SS slash-cut rolled lip tips (with the o/r x and no mufflers). HOLY CRAP. You might as well not have a radio in the car. Conversation with a passenger.....yeah right....not if your foot is on the throttle.

Quick story.....i was headed to base and my buddy called me on my cell....."Hey brah, you on your way to work?" "Yeah i'm in Spring Lake (2 1/2miles away from his house....i'm not even shi**ing you). Why."

"Because i think i can hear your car (VERY distinct sound)!!!"

"What!!!"

"YEAH....downshift and grab a gear, let me see if it's you I'm hearing!"

"OK.....so i drop to 2nd at 45 and nail it."!!!------------>insert NASCAR sound

"Yep....it's you!"

"DANG, alright will I'll see you in about 10 minutes!"

Point is, o/r x with straight pips through some long tips is ungodly loud. So then I finally get my Dynatech LT headers and hi flo catted x pipe. I also welded in some Pypes M80 race pros and new mandrel bent over axles. Sounds amazing!!! Guess what, 6mo. later pypes released their midmuffler kit. So, headers won't really make it louder, but they will change the tone. If you ditch the factory hpipe and go with an o/r mid pipe....it will definitly be louder. Just think about my story before you cut your mufflers out and run straight pipe. It will be Talladega LOUD!!!

HUTCH
Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I think the o/r pipe would do the trick for you. I just had the Kooks LT's installed w/cat h-pipe and it's friggin loud. Not sure if I like it yet but here' a quick video from another post I started in regards to switching out the Pypes MM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICMvUl-gSLk
Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
I have the muffler delete with an 18" X 4" tip added. It will pop a bit if you rev it when it is cold. Once up to operating temp, it is great. The rest of the system is stock. It was an $80.00 conversion and is loud....
So that I understand, yours is not and was not a MM system, just a simple muffler delete with straight pipes to replace. Right?

That is the same as if I replace the MM mufflers with a straight section of pipe.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:01 AM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Spring Lake, Michigan? That's right by me (if that's where you are at).

Originally Posted by GT4HUTCH
Ok check this out....i'm on my 5th exhaust system for my 06. I tryed for a long time to get that unmistakeable sound of the 2v and 4v cars. I tried flowmasters, then pypes violators. THen i added an o/r xpipe with the violators. No luck. Then it dawned on me.....these cars don't have tailpipes......the muffler is all the way at the back of the car. So i took the violators off and welded on some 15"x3" SS slash-cut rolled lip tips (with the o/r x and no mufflers). HOLY CRAP. You might as well not have a radio in the car. Conversation with a passenger.....yeah right....not if your foot is on the throttle.

Quick story.....i was headed to base and my buddy called me on my cell....."Hey brah, you on your way to work?" "Yeah i'm in Spring Lake (2 1/2miles away from his house....i'm not even shi**ing you). Why."

"Because i think i can hear your car (VERY distinct sound)!!!"

"What!!!"

"YEAH....downshift and grab a gear, let me see if it's you I'm hearing!"

"OK.....so i drop to 2nd at 45 and nail it."!!!------------>insert NASCAR sound

"Yep....it's you!"

"DANG, alright will I'll see you in about 10 minutes!"

Point is, o/r x with straight pips through some long tips is ungodly loud. So then I finally get my Dynatech LT headers and hi flo catted x pipe. I also welded in some Pypes M80 race pros and new mandrel bent over axles. Sounds amazing!!! Guess what, 6mo. later pypes released their midmuffler kit. So, headers won't really make it louder, but they will change the tone. If you ditch the factory hpipe and go with an o/r mid pipe....it will definitly be louder. Just think about my story before you cut your mufflers out and run straight pipe. It will be Talladega LOUD!!!

HUTCH
Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I've thought about doing the muffler delete option that many have said/recommended, but as to the OP add some LT's and an o/r H or X-pipe
Old 09-02-2008, 11:56 AM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

i have the pypes x-pipe and it made it louder without very much popping or crackiling but it sounds very nice..
Old 09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

If you are looking for a significant increase in sound than I think and off-road H would be the way to go. An offroad X tends to pop more.

If you want a more subtle increase in sound, I might try the prochamber that you cut in after your stock cats. I have searched and searched and never found anyone with it and sound clips. I do know alot of companies sell x and h pipe that cut in after the stock cats so it must do something.

I plan on doing this sometime before christmas as I think it will sound good with my violaters.

Exhaust set ups are hard as you never really know if you like it till you put it on, so many go through many set ups.

I want a nice deep tone that sounds great but isnt going to raise the dead or cause to much attention from the five-oh.

Dont know your time frame but I plan on making alot of vids and sound clips.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have Pypes mid-mufflers, want it louder